How To Lower The Depth Of Water In A Inground Pool

Hello All:

I am new to this forum. we recently bought a home that came with a swimming pool with diving board.

I am not swimmer nor my two small children. The pool is 10-11 ft deep at the diving end.

what can i do to lower the water level ?

ANy suggestions will help.

I thought of lowering water level, but the pool maintenance company told me that is not possible to do because skimmers on the surface.

Can i provide a alternate way for the skimmers to get water ?

My sons love swimming I am sure in couple of years we would be able to use whole pool

I am looking for a cheaper alternative to pour concrete or fill up the pool with bricks etc.

Thanks

I have two girls of my own, so I sympathize. Swimming lessons for everyone, asap. But you knew that.

I don't think lowering the water level is really practical. 10-11 feet deep is unusual for a residential pool; the previous owner must have been a serious diver. 6-8 feet is more usual. You could raise the bottom of the diving area with concrete (and redo the plumbing for the drain) but that is a very permanent change to the pool layout. When you say bricks, I assume you meant loose bricks with the idea of removing them later? Don't do that, there will be no good water flow in where the bricks are and you'll end up with a permanent algae (or worse) infestation.

There IS a shallow end, yes? There should be fixtures for attaching a rope (with floaters) across the boundary between the shallow and deep ends; after that it depends on how obedient they are. If the rope is not sufficient, maybe you want to look into getting some kind of netting that will keep the little ones from escaping into the deep end. At least, until they are competent and strong enough swimmers to get themselves back out. (A swimming test such as "four full lengths of the pool without stopping" before they are allowed in the deep end by themselves, for example. That's what I had to do when I was that age.)

Good luck,

--paulr

You didn't say how small your children are. If they are under 4 then, you can take the same precautions that others do like buy a pool and gate alarm. If they are 3 to 4 and older, it will only take one summer to teach them how to swim. After the summer is over, they will be able to swim better than you and the apprehension of the kids around water when you are not there will subside greatly. If they fall in, they will be able to swim to the side with no problem. Also, I bought a pool cover for the winter. It is expensive but, well worth the money. It is made to take the weight of a person......or two.

I think putting bricks in will damage the pool and will be a hassle...........especially when its possible that by the time you finish the kids could be great swimmers.