D1 Service?

Veronica

OK....I am down to a Master Spa LSX or a D1 Lotus Bay or Chairman II, PLEASE I won't be able to take another service nightmare like I endured with Hydro Spa!!!!... that finally prompted demanding a refund for a defective spa (my very first) they failed to fix. Does anyone have somes last words of advice about service problems, price, how to get the most from my dealer and maintain a good working relationship with them? I would SO appreciate it!

This site is great, you're all invited for a dip in the new one!

OK....I am down to a Master Spa LSX or a D1 Lotus Bay or Chairman II, PLEASE I won't be able to take another service nightmare like I endured with Hydro Spa!!!!... that finally prompted demanding a refund for a defective spa (my very first) they failed to fix. Does anyone have somes last words of advice about service problems, price, how to get the most from my dealer and maintain a good working relationship with them? I would SO appreciate it!

Their are no guarantees. I can find you nightmare stories on any brand (see below).....Get recomendations from local owners if possible....While there's lots of good info on a board like this, there are also plenty of dealers/sales people pursuing their own agenda. Grain of salt and all...Best of luck.

NightRyder

My Master Spas LS800 is the worst product I have ever purchased. In the first year of ownership I have had 19 individual complaints with this spa and with Master Spas customer service. It has had numerous failures, I have received absolutely rotten customer service, and Master Spas does not stand behind their product.

Some of the problems with the spa itself:

1. The spa uses well over $100 per month in energy despite statements by Master Spas and the local retailer, Spa Expo, that the spa would use around $20 per month. Master Spas website states to expect $14-32 per month. Master Spas blames me for the high energy use and will not commit to fixing the problem. I had a Coleman spa of the same size, in the same area and climate, with the same usage patterns and it used only $20 per month; yet it’s my fault that this Master Spa uses well over $100 per month. When the spa was out of service for a month my energy use dropped by over $100 per month. This is a huge issue. Imagine spending over $1000 per year to operate a spa in the mild San Francisco Bay Area!

2. The spa leaks water inside the skirting at one of the jets. This has damaged the wood corner panel with stains and cracks and potentially will cause dry rot of the spa frame.

3. The spa will not hold the set temperature when the jets operate. I lose 2-3 degrees while using the spa. The Master Spas sales rep at Spa Expo did a lot of bragging about the 3 powerful jets but “forgot” to inform me that the spa heater will not work with the jets on. Gee, like I should really expect a near $10,000 spa to hold a set temperature while it’s being used! A critical design issue was withheld from the consumer. Overall a very poor design and misleading representation of the product. I would never have purchased this spa if I had been told of this design.

4. Three wood panels are separating and cracking and two quarter panels are cracked. These panels are held together by staples; a very flimsy, low quality design.

5. The foot jet will not operate after the spa water is drained and refilled. Master Spas instructed me to remove the side panel and bleed the line. I did not buy a near spa costing almost $10,000 to have to work on it for a mere water change. In addition, continually removing the flimsy side panels will definitely cause them to fail.

6. Master Spas authorized repair technician damaged a spa side panel when delivering the spa, and damaged my lawn by draining the entire spa contents on my lawn and then walking on the lawn during repairs. The technician never diagnosed problems with the spa; instead he just made assumptions regarding the spa’s problems. Despite this unprofessional service, Master Spas now refuses to send an alternative repair technician.

7. The spa is extremely noisy during the filter cycle when the pumps are on low. It is so loud that it sounds like its powered by a gas lawn mower engine. We close our bedroom slider in the morning because it wakes us up.

8. I have also had a number of smaller problems that further reinforce the conclusion that this is a low quality product. These include a waterfall squealing, a waterfall handle falling off, a pillow peeling with black pieces floating around the spa, the filter door gasket falling off, and three seat jets pop out when I try to adjust them.

9. The seats are at odd angles and difficult to sit in without floating out.

Problems with Master Spas customer service:

1. Numerous emails and phone calls were unreturned by customer service. I spent hours of my own time on hold and sending emails with no response. I notified Master Spas of my excessive energy use and problems in early March and it took about 4 weeks until I received any response. It is now July and the excessive energy use has cost me about $700-800 so far and Master Spas will not commit to fixing the problem.

2. Master Spas does not stand by their product. Burnt wiring and circuit board - the electrician’s fault. High energy use – my fault. Can’t hold a set temperature – caused by Master Spas “good design and wonderful 3 jet feature”. Want a refund – you bought it at Spa Expo. Repair technician unprofessional – too bad we’ll send him anyway.

3. They have never apologized for the numerous problems I have had with the spa and with the poor customer service nor have they ever committed to making things right.

4. After all of these problems with the spa failures, the high energy use, the poor design, the misleading sales pitch, and the awful customer service they have refused my request for a refund and they will not commit to fixing the problems.

5. If you live in the San Francisco Bay Area I would also stay away from Spa Expo in San Ramon. I purchased the spa there and they have done nothing to help me with these problems. They just say it’s a manufacturer issue. In every way no one stands behind this near $10,000 lemon.

Recommended

No

Noise Level: Very Loud

Amount Paid (US$): 9700 w tax

Their are no guarantees. I can find you nightmare stories on any brand (see below).....Get recomendations from local owners if possible....While there's lots of good info on a board like this, there are also plenty of dealers/sales people pursuing their own agenda. Grain of salt and all...Best of luck.

Wow Night Ryder!

How do you do that?!? Where can the average Joe go to find important info like this? This forum has improved a bunch recently although I agree with you that many people still use it to promote their spas or have alterior motives. I think it's very hard for someone to get the "real scoop" unless they get the word from the owners directly. I'll start a topic for owners to speak out and see what happens.

Instead of a night ryder, you could very well be a knight in shining armor! I think the more that situations like this are exposed... the better chance a company has to make themselves better or get off the pot! I can't wait untill this industry is "cleaned up". Someone mentioned it somewhere... "these times are a changin'!" and I'm thankfull for that! It's about time the consumer has the chance to take charge and get the best service from whatever company they decide to choose.

I WOULD TELL YOU TO FIND THE CUSTUMERS OF EACH OF THE INDIVIDUAL BUSINESSES AND SEE HOW THINGS HAVE WORKED OUT FOR THEM. ALSO CHECK THE BUSINEESES REPORTS ON THE BBB WEBSITE. I CAN SIT HERE AND SAY THAT THE COMPANY WHO SELLS D1 HAS A MUCH BETTER REPUTATION THAN THE COMPANY WHO SELLS MASTER AROUND THIS AREA BUT EVERY INDIVIDUAL COMPANY AROUND THE COUNTRY IS DIFFERENT!

I WOULD TELL YOU TO FIND THE CUSTUMERS OF EACH OF THE INDIVIDUAL BUSINESSES AND SEE HOW THINGS HAVE WORKED OUT FOR THEM. ALSO CHECK THE BUSINEESES REPORTS ON THE BBB WEBSITE. I CAN SIT HERE AND SAY THAT THE COMPANY WHO SELLS D1 HAS A MUCH BETTER REPUTATION THAN THE COMPANY WHO SELLS MASTER AROUND THIS AREA BUT EVERY INDIVIDUAL COMPANY AROUND THE COUNTRY IS DIFFERENT!

This sounds like great advise, and I will do just that, but ultimateley...when and if things go wrong isn't the "buck" usually passed to the manufacturer from the vendor? Or was that just my individual experience with Discount Spas Direct and Hydro Spa?

This sounds like great advise, and I will do just that, but ultimateley...when and if things go wrong isn't the "buck" usually passed to the manufacturer from the vendor? Or was that just my individual experience with Discount Spas Direct and Hydro Spa?

NO. THE VENDOR MAY NEED TO GO TO ITS MANUFACTURER FOR HELP IF IT IS A PROBLEM BUT ULTIMATLY THE VENDOR IS (OR AT LEAST SHOULD BE) THE SERVICE CENTER FOR THE HOT TUBS THAT THEY SELL. IF YOU ARE GOING TO BUY A HOT TUB MAKE SURE THAT THE PLACE WHERE YOU BUY IT FROM IS THE SERVICE CENTER. DO THEY HAVE EMPLOYEES WHO HAVE BEEN TRAINED TO WORK ON THEIR BRAND OF TUBS? IF THEIR IS A PROBLEM YOU ARE HAVING ARE THEY GOING TO COME TO YOUR HOUSE AND HELP YOU OUT? IT SOUNDS LIKE THESE MAY BE THINGS YOU NEED AFTER THE EXPERIENCE YOU HAD BEFORE! GOOD LUCK AND MAY YOU FIND THE PERFECT HOT TUB!

OK folks, I did the wet test on the D1 Chairman II yesterday, and....overall quite a fabulous experience. Here is my question. Given the fact that I was in the middle of the store in the hot tub, a bit shy, it was difficult to concentrate on manipulating the jets for the deepest massage effect, (i.e. strongest, effectiveley pointed jets with pressure and power)...I am the type that REALLY likes to feel like the pressure could blow me out of the water, i.e. the deepest massage is also a factor that weighs in as fairly important once I get past service concerns.

Should this be a concern? I really like the layout of the Lotus Bay, which claims to pack even more power. Is the bigger size a concern? Do the jets feel a little less powerful because they are compensating for more stuff? Like that fabulous foot massager? Shhould I not even be concerned because when I'm in it alone, I will be able to configure all the power the the seat I'm using?

I'd appreciate some of your advise here, learned spa people (I'll post a general question as well). Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

OK folks, I did the wet test on the D1 Chairman II yesterday, and....overall quite a fabulous experience. Here is my question. Given the fact that I was in the middle of the store in the hot tub, a bit shy, it was difficult to concentrate on manipulating the jets for the deepest massage effect, (i.e. strongest, effectiveley pointed jets with pressure and power)...I am the type that REALLY likes to feel like the pressure could blow me out of the water, i.e. the deepest massage is also a factor that weighs in as fairly important once I get past service concerns.

Should this be a concern? I really like the layout of the Lotus Bay, which claims to pack even more power. Is the bigger size a concern? Do the jets feel a little less powerful because they are compensating for more stuff? Like that fabulous foot massager? Shhould I not even be concerned because when I'm in it alone, I will be able to configure all the power the the seat I'm using?

I'd appreciate some of your advise here, learned spa people (I'll post a general question as well). Thanks!

MY OPINION IS THAT THE LOTUS IS THE BEST HOT TUB FROM D1! MY PERSONAL FAVORITE! BUT IF YOU ARE INTO THE LOUNGERS THAN THE CHAIRMAN II WOULD BE THE ONE FOR YOU. IF YOU WANT TO THE POWER OF THE JETS IN THE D1 MAKE SURE ALL TEH JETS ARE TURNED TO THEIR FULLEST POWER AND THEN TURN THE DIVERTER TO PUT ALL THE PREESURE IN TEH SEAT YOU ARE IN! THAT IS THE GREAT THING ABOUT D1 IS THAT YOU CAN CUSTOMIZE THE SEAT YOU ARE IN! IF YOU FEEL UNCONFORTABLE IN TEH STORE MAKE AN APPOINTMENT FOR AFTER HOURS WHEN NO ONE IS THERE! GOOD LUCK!

MY OPINION IS THAT THE LOTUS IS THE BEST HOT TUB FROM D1! MY PERSONAL FAVORITE! BUT IF YOU ARE INTO THE LOUNGERS THAN THE CHAIRMAN II WOULD BE THE ONE FOR YOU. IF YOU WANT TO THE POWER OF THE JETS IN THE D1 MAKE SURE ALL TEH JETS ARE TURNED TO THEIR FULLEST POWER AND THEN TURN THE DIVERTER TO PUT ALL THE PREESURE IN TEH SEAT YOU ARE IN! THAT IS THE GREAT THING ABOUT D1 IS THAT YOU CAN CUSTOMIZE THE SEAT YOU ARE IN! IF YOU FEEL UNCONFORTABLE IN TEH STORE MAKE AN APPOINTMENT FOR AFTER HOURS WHEN NO ONE IS THERE! GOOD LUCK!

We bought the D1 Lotus Bay. We don't have it yet because we are not ready for it, they are hanging on to it for us. My sister and her husband bought the Chairman II two years ago and they love it. He likes the jets hard and she likes them softer. There doesn't seem to be any problem changing it from seat to seat or changing from hard to soft in the lounger.