Leak Repair Options?

:wacko:

Our spa is leaking at the glue joints. I wondered if anyone had tried blue glue around the PVC joint on the outside of the pipe? Or has anyone used FixALeak? Are there other options for repairing leaks at the glue joints?

Thanks.

Is this a suction side leak or on the pressure side?

If it's on the pressure side it could be harder to try and add more glue around the fitting(s) because the pressure can blow it back out. If it was on the suction side you would have more of a chance of it working because the suction helps pull the glue into the area. It's worth a try, but it may just be better to run to Lowe's and pick-up some new fittings.

- Josh

If it is a pressure side leak, the only fix with 100% results, if you want to use the existing parts is to go from the inside and apply an epoxie or "Weldon 810" two part pvc repair. You need to clean the inside of the joints with a clear primer/cleaner. Then apply the Weldon from the inside and make it smooth. This works extremely well if you can cut the pipe to expose the joint or if the joint is just inside a pump or heater union.

Normally the parts that are leaking are right at the pumps, because of the stress. If you can't reach the joint from the inside to fix it, then you need to use new parts.

I have tried to attack the leaks from the outside using a rubberized tape and band clamps with some success. It all depends on where the leak is. If you can get the rubber to seal, it works well and will last for years.

Epoxie on the outside of most pressure joints only works sometimes.

I have also tried a "snap on" patch and have not had it work with just PVC glue. It works with the Weldon 810. This is a specialized part for patching glue joints on standard parts, like 90's and Tees. It fits over the joint and is glued in place. I prefer to use the Weldon 810 and snap the patch over that.