Used Spa Pitfalls?

Chappy

I am a first time buyer, and after thoroughly researching and shopping the new spa market with only one possible winner in our price range (Marquis 545 floor model, $5200 with cover and set up), I am exploring the option of a used spa and would like please to hear some thoughts on the general wisdom and/or success of this approach, understanding from the start of course the get what you pay for part.

As an example, I looked at a 2006 Sundance Marin with original owners. The spa has lived on a clean, open concrete patio, and the owners said they rarely used it. The shell and cabinet appeared in very good condition, and all devices - pumps, blower, heater, diverter, control pads - functioned properly. I only wet tested by arm, and all of jets were functioning. The only red flag was that it was clear the owner had not kept up with the cleaning and water maintenance, as there was a slight odor and visible mildew around the top of the spa where the cover rested. I am considering an offer around $2000.

I guess my first question is if a history of poor water maintenance is a detriment to the spa internally and a reason to discount this one, or is this something that can be readily decontaminated and dismissed?

Secondly, my line of thought is that this is a substantially higher quality spa than the lower-end new ones, and I could afford to take a few lumps on repair/replace and still come out ahead.

Musings, facts and expert opinions would all be helpful.

I bought a used spa and am very happy with it.

Yes, you should decontaminate the spa, Here is a link to Nitro's decontamination procedure,

http://www.poolspaforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=19115

His water maintenance method is very good too. The links are at the end of his decontamination post.

Dave