Unhook Ozonator?

walleye

I am considering unplugging my Ozonator on my Sundance Altamar. After reading about the ineffectiveness and the possible health hazards, I am wondering why to even keep it plugged in. I can see it putting out strongly while circulating, but is it effective and is it causing any health concerns? Tell me if I should unplug it or not. Thanks

I am considering unplugging my Ozonator on my Sundance Altamar. After reading about the ineffectiveness and the possible health hazards, I am wondering why to even keep it plugged in. I can see it putting out strongly while circulating, but is it effective and is it causing any health concerns? Tell me if I should unplug it or not. Thanks

Try unplugging it- see if you notice a difference. Then you'll have a nice baseline of its effectiveness.

Sundance is well designed and engineered spa, that very likely has a properly constructed ozone introduction system to minimize off-gassing, and maximize reaction volume.

If you unplug the corona discharge (or possibly UV) unit that is generating the ozone, the there will only be air sucked in without any ozone being generated. If you don't want the aeration from the air bubbles, then you'll need to also plug the air intake.

If you use a spa regularly, such as every day or two, then ozone can be helpful to cut down chlorine usage by oxidizing bather waste. It is also useful in a bromine spa to automatically generate more bromine to maintain a residual. On the other hand, in a chlorine spa that is used infrequently (only once a week or so), then the ozonator can increase chlorine usage since ozone reacts with chlorine. These are the main considerations. I'm not sure what particular health concern you are worried about regarding ozone.

Chem Geek, That's just it, I do not know. I have read here and there that Ozone can be bad for you. What I am trying to find out is if there is any health risk with my system. I have a Bromine system. I was just concerned if the Ozonator has any danger to the tub users. The bubbles do not bother me, it is the gas in the bubbles I was concerned about. Maybe there is no danger st all. That is what I am wondering. Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks for your replies. I appreciate them.

Generally here on this forum we do not say that ozonators in spas are bad for you. Most newer spas will turn off the ozonator when you touch any controls for the spa since they figure you are going into the spa at that point. So you shouldn't be breathing ozone while in the spa. Ozone will produce bromates in a bromine spa and although that is a probable carcinogen, it is only through drinking water (which you don't do in a spa) and it has minimal or no skin absorption and it is not volatile (though could aerosolize in small quantities). So if you like the convenience of having bromine generated by your ozonator or notice any other benefits to it helping to keep the water clear, then keep it on.

Thanks Chem Geek. I can tell you I have a brand new Sundance Altamar and the Ozonator keeps on keeping on while I am in the tub. It runs whenever the heater runs. Sounds like you suggest keeping it going. Let me put it to you this way...... If it were you in my case, would you keep using it? Thanks again.

If you don't smell the ozone while you are in the tub, then you're probably OK. The odor threshold is around 0.1 ppm while the OSHA limit is 0.1 ppm for 8 hours and the EPA limit outdoors is 0.08 ppm for an 8-hour average. People's ability to smell ozone varies and one gets used to it so it's mostly if you notice it when you first get into the spa and smell where the bubbles are, assuming you've removed the cover for 5 minutes or so prior to getting in (since gasses build up under the cover). Basically, you aren't in a spa for 8 hours every day and the limits are designed to reduce cancer risks to the 1 in a million level for a lifetime of such exposure. In general, I wouldn't worry about spa ozonators.

Personally, I think the risk is greater for bromine vs. chlorine, independent of ozone, due to the brominated trihalomethanes, but such risks are still relatively low. The bigger risks for ozone would be for larger systems such as used in indoor commercial/public pools, but in that case there are ventilation requirements or ozone degassing requirements and for such indoor pools there are disinfection by-products to worry about (such as nitrogen trichloride, nitrosamines, brominated trihalomethanes, etc.) in addition to ozone.