Salt Water Pool Problem

Surfdudeh83

I have an Intex above ground pool with a diameter of 5,5 meters which has a salt water filter system.

At a certain point the pool got completely green because we were out of salt. We tried adding salt but the system would not start since it kept on indicating that the salt level was too low. After adding an algae treatment the water was blue but still blurry. We tried shocking it what made it a little bit better. After that we kept on adding salt since it indicated a too low salt level. After adding the 5th bag of 13 pounds of salt we were fed up with it and started using chlorine tablets together with a clarifying liquid which resulted in a perfectly clear pool. When trying to run the salt system it still keeps on giving the 'too low' message. I tried cleaning the 'salt system' which resulted in no change. I want to quit the chlorine tablets but I'm afraid to put in even more salt. Above all that it seems that the vinyl filter is building up a sort of grey gelly residue.

Does anyone has any tips and tricks to help me out here. I live in the caribbean and need my pool to cool of after a long days work...

Thanks!

Sounds like you have a failing cell. When an SWG cell gets close to end of life, the control unit will tend to read low salt even though the salt level is fine. Test the salt level and see if it is much higher than what the unit is reporting. If so, then you will need to purchase a new cell. BTW, how old is cell? Most last less than 3-5 years.