To Close Or Not To Close?

Venissa

ok so.......I am trying to decide if i want to close my pool for the winter or leave it open....Our pool installer told me it is cheaper to leave it open but that I would need to have a freeze protector installed that will kick the pump on when the temp drops below a certain degree. I do not have trees.....Should i leave open or close it? Also he is going to charge me 360 installed for the freeze protector and says it will be an intermatic brand. Wondering if i can buy and install myself cheaper?

I am a new pool owner and still learning....... :o

• 2 weeks later...

In dallas... Argumentative, which is cheaper. I will charge to close and to reopen the pool. However if you can close and reopen on your own then you are way ahead. When freeze guard kicks in... Your pump runs non stop. And there is wear and tear on your equipment. If closed properly you'll have no wear and tear. And if you open it at the right time, then you'll have few if any real problems. If your equipment is at a higher elevation than your pool then your green light is on! If it is lower, be cautious and keep an eye on things. There are too many factors that can't be predicted for me to advise you to close or keep open your pool. I like to use my hot tub, so I keep my pool open, some don't have hot tubs and they prefer to close.

In dallas... Argumentative, which is cheaper. I will charge to close and to reopen the pool. However if you can close and reopen on your own then you are way ahead. When freeze guard kicks in... Your pump runs non stop. And there is wear and tear on your equipment. If closed properly you'll have no wear and tear. And if you open it at the right time, then you'll have few if any real problems. If your equipment is at a higher elevation than your pool then your green light is on! If it is lower, be cautious and keep an eye on things. There are too many factors that can't be predicted for me to advise you to close or keep open your pool. I like to use my hot tub, so I keep my pool open, some don't have hot tubs and they prefer to close.

Sorry Venissa, I meant to respond earlier. I agree with Fireman. If you can borrow an air compressor (others prefer a shop vac w/ a large capacity motor, say 7+ HP/horsepower) from a friend and find someone to help you handle the cover you can close the pool within a couple of hours and save $150-300. Same for opening, although that is easier. I'm in the StL area (damn the Rangers) and haven't closed yet, although I covered my pool a few weeks ago to keep the leaves out. The water temp didn't drop enough for my tastes, although I will finally lower the water level and winterize this weekend, having shocked, vacuumed and added algaecide over the past week. It really depends on your experience with the winter weather in your home in Georgia, but if you experience a few hard freezes you're wasting money, incurring avoidable equipment wear and risking problems which you'll regret next spring. Georgia has a longer swim season than StL, but have to accept the fact that closing and opening are a part of life for a pool owner - unless you're in SE Florida, Hawaii, etc. I expect you can safely wait until after Halloween to close, and re-open in early April. Once you learn how to close and open on your own you'll never look back.

Thanks so much for the help....I found some videos on youtube that show closing a pool - I think i got this.........:)

I have sooo many questions about my pool - chemicals etc and for some reason people around here are not very helpful...I think they want me to pay them to handle it all and that's why they are not very receptive to answering my questions...

I still do not know what i need to be testing the water for and what to add to it to make the numbers read where they are suppose to read but with the help of you guys and the internet I will eventually know what i am doing.....lol

Thanks again!!

Thanks so much for the help....I found some videos on youtube that show closing a pool - I think i got this.........:)

I have sooo many questions about my pool - chemicals etc and for some reason people around here are not very helpful...I think they want me to pay them to handle it all and that's why they are not very receptive to answering my questions...

I still do not know what i need to be testing the water for and what to add to it to make the numbers read where they are suppose to read but with the help of you guys and the internet I will eventually know what i am doing.....lol

Thanks again!!

Use the search feature - there's a ton of information in these forums. There are also "stickies" about common concerns like closing and opening procedures, water chemistry, etc. If you can't find want you're looking for, just ask. I recommend a Taylor K-2006 test kit. Enter that in quotations in google products/shopping and sort for the lowest price for a complete kit. Easy to use and very accurate. When closing, you'll want to shock heavily, run the pump overnight, wait a couple of days for your chlorine levels to drop, add algaecide (a 60% strength polyquat) and vacuum. Do you get long, hard freezes where you live in GA? If so, you'll want to drain the water level to 6" below the return lines. Familiarize yourself w/ the various valves on the aboveground plumbing near the equipment, as well as the settings on the multiport valve on top of the filter, then get back to me when you're within 48 hours of closing.

I suspect you already have the info you need. I'm in west central Florida -- not sure where you are in Georgia, but most folks here don't really have a closing routine for their pools. Yes, it gets darned cold here, cold enough to freeze bird baths solid! For a few years, I covered my pool every winter, to conserve heat, thinking northern guests might want to go for a swim (with just a little water heating). But, as it turns out, I don't do anything now for winter, other than cut back on the time the pump runs. If the weather folks warn about the three Ps (Pets/Pipes/Plants) I turn my pump on to run overnight. Yes, it's a manual thing. If we go away -- I set my pump to run at night until we get back. Chemical testing goes on but much less frequently. I no longer use the solar cover, so the exposed pool water is exposed to the dry winter air, causing significant evaporation -- something else to keep up with unless you are blessed with an automatic device to add water. So far, no problems and it has being working well for the past 15 years. If you are in north GA - - it might be different.

I suspect you already have the info you need. I'm in west central Florida -- not sure where you are in Georgia, but most folks here don't really have a closing routine for their pools. Yes, it gets darned cold here, cold enough to freeze bird baths solid! For a few years, I covered my pool every winter, to conserve heat, thinking northern guests might want to go for a swim (with just a little water heating). But, as it turns out, I don't do anything now for winter, other than cut back on the time the pump runs. If the weather folks warn about the three Ps (Pets/Pipes/Plants) I turn my pump on to run overnight. Yes, it's a manual thing. If we go away -- I set my pump to run at night until we get back. Chemical testing goes on but much less frequently. I no longer use the solar cover, so the exposed pool water is exposed to the dry winter air, causing significant evaporation -- something else to keep up with unless you are blessed with an automatic device to add water. So far, no problems and it has being working well for the past 15 years. If you are in north GA - - it might be different.

Well I am in North GA.......and still undecided.....I keep going back and forth on what to do. If I am going to close I need to find a winter cover and there are SOOOO many to pick from - right now I cant afford a safety cover which I was told is best and there are too may other covers to pick from..... Its almost Nov and i am running out of time..........