Older Spa Needs A Good Cleaning - Reccomendations?

Tz.

Hello Everyone..

I recently purchased a home and it came with a Spa, from the get go, looks to be a LA Spa Quest, older model, early 2K timeframe

Anyways, it has not been used in at least 2 years and has been sitting there, empty (no water)

It needs a REAL good cleaning both the shell and the internals..

I am going to run this as a Salt spa, so I would like to get this CLEAN, inside and out and replace any

parts that needs to be replaced before I jump into getting the salt water setups..

This is my first run with a SPA, so any help would be great..

Also, question on the "Spa Purgers" I know there is a few like Ahh-some, Spa Purge, etc..

Whats the going recomendation and when you use a purge product, do i need to get the

water balanced (PH & AL) before I start the purge or just fill it and go?

Thanks ahead of time..

Hello Everyone..

I recently purchased a home and it came with a Spa, from the get go, looks to be a LA Spa Quest, older model, early 2K timeframe

Anyways, it has not been used in at least 2 years and has been sitting there, empty (no water)

It needs a REAL good cleaning both the shell and the internals..

I am going to run this as a Salt spa, so I would like to get this CLEAN, inside and out and replace any

parts that needs to be replaced before I jump into getting the salt water setups..

This is my first run with a SPA, so any help would be great..

Also, question on the "Spa Purgers" I know there is a few like Ahh-some, Spa Purge, etc..

Whats the going recomendation and when you use a purge product, do i need to get the

water balanced (PH & AL) before I start the purge or just fill it and go?

Thanks ahead of time..

Tz,

I recommend you visit the Pool/Spa Water Care section of this forum and click on the Hot Tub Water Chemistry link. At the top of Hot Tub Water Chemistry list are Hot Topics. Click on the Decontamination "Hot Topic" and within you will find a step-by-step procedure for cleaning and sanitizing the internals of your hot tub. You'll also find a suggestion to use the highly chlorinated water used in part of the decontamination procedure to clean the exterior of your tub. I'm not familiar with your particular hot tub manufacturer or model, so I do not know what your cabinet materials are, but I'm sure you can find recommendations by using the search engine on this forum to get recommendations for cleaning products for the exterior of the tub (in addition to, and/or other than, the highly chlorinated water suggested for use in the decontamination protocol).

This decontamination process will take a couple of days. So while you're following the decontamination protocol, you can read the other "Hot Topics" that explain how to balance your water and maintain sanitary water cheaply and efficiently. I know you are planning on using a Salt Water Chlorine Generator (SWCG) system. You'll probably find a bit more information regarding SWCG in the Swimming Pool Water Chemistry section since SWCG have been used is pools longer than in hot tubs. Keep in mind the differences between the pool environment and the hot tub environment. Be mindful also of the fact that some hot tubs may not be designed for use with SWCG. I recommend you contact the hot tub manufacturer and get some information from them as to whether a SWCG system will pose problems with your particular model hot tub.

Good luck,

narukami B)

The Ahh-Some Bio Cleaner works very well. I have read many favorable testimonials from people who used this on spas and jetted bathtubs. This stuff works great and is easy to use and environmentally friendly.

Interesting to see a first time poster come on the forum and make such a strong recommendation for a product most of us have never heard of.

I think gman provdies some good advice in his response.