Above Ground Pool Deck Extension

Guest David

My 18 X 33, Oval, Above Ground pool has been installed for about a year. My next plan is to extend my present deck to the pool edge. I live in New England. The deck is attached to the house. The deck extension will be attached to the present deck. In New England deck post footers are about 4 feet deep to avoid the freeze zone in winter. The deck is currently about 29" from the edge of the pool. The pool is parallel to the deck. On the ground, I have about 20” from the pool bottom rail to the drain pipe that surrounds the pool area. The issue is how close to the pool bottom rail can I dig a 4 foot deep post hole footer without risking compromise of my pool bottom rail. I can’t find an online reference for the required width of a post hole footer. I assume from my reading that a hole dug with post hole digger is sufficient width. Have you done something like this or have recommendations?

I wouldn't dig anything that close since you're up there and the ground has a lot of moisture. I'd try getting deck bloks from HDepot and use 4 x 4's as foundation for deck. www.deckplans.com

Why not just cantilever to the pool from your existing deck, your only 29" away. Just make sure you cantilever back about 4' or 5' to support the weight. This also depends on the joist layout and your codes for your area.