Epoxy coating or plaster to resurface a gunite pool

Guest Kent Simpson

Guest Kent Simpson

We have a 16-year-old pool; the bottom and half of the sides are gunite. The upper portion of the sides is stainless steel. We want to resurface the gunite area and understand our options are either an epoxy coating or a plaster resurfacing. Any suggestions, comments. Thanks

We have a 16-year-old pool; the bottom and half of the sides are gunite. The upper portion of the sides is stainless steel. We want to resurface the gunite area and understand our options are either an epoxy coating or a plaster resurfacing. Any suggestions, comments. Thanks

definitely plaster finish

I must question your description of the pool. Gunite or concrete and steel are a very rare combination.

Let me help with your pool description first. If the pool is gunite (bottom) with steel (walls), then it could only have been a very unusual vinyl liner pool. If the pool (bottom) is concrete, then the walls (the first 3'-4' down from the top) are more likely fiberglass.

It's extremely difficult to determine whether the bottom is gunite or concrete, and it really doesn't matter in this instance. However, it's rather easy to determine the wall material. If the wall is metal and rusty, then it is galvanized steel. If the wall has clearly defined vertical seams every 4', 6, or 8' and have a considerable number of blisters (but absolutely no rust or corrosion), then the wall is fiberglass.

Let me know and I can answer your question, either way. Bill

• 1 month later...

always resurface marbledust (plaster) with marbledust. paint or epoxy will not hold up as well.