On Line Cover Retailers

Poolman18

I know having a storefront means higher overhead/rent compared to warehouse type online retailers, but pricing must be closer for local stores to get people to support their local businesses, so maybe taking a smaller margin on them is a thought. I will usually pay an extra 10-20% more to support my local businesses but many will not pay that much of a premium. SO maybe limiting your margin to only be 10% more max and hopefully pick up more savings in the higher volume you may do. Some profit is better than losing the sale and all profit from them.

You can't. Their costs are so far below yours, you can't possibly meet their prices. The "big guys" are FULLY automated. The customer enters ALL the information online, this info is automatically electronically transmitted to the manufacturer, payment is processed automatically online at the time of order, and the manufacturer ships the cover directly to the end user. All the online guy has to do is write himself a paycheck....imagine only making $15 per cover...yet selling some 10,000 covers a year this way.

HOWEVER, there actually are some things you can do to make yourself more attractive to the consumer.

1. LEARN everything you can about covers, and the competition. Be able to clearly explain how your cover differs, and is better than the internet cover they're considering (there are VERY good, top of the line covers being sold online, but there's also a lot of crap....people shopping on the internet tend to sway more towards cost than quality).

2. Internet companies can't and don't measure the customers spa for a cover. This is a service you can offer, AND charge for.

3. Internet companies don't dispose of the customers old cover. This is a service you can offer, AND charge for.

With so many people ordering products online , I have found that the Hot Tub business is no different. I have lost a few sales to the on line guys , especially the Hot Tub cover guys ?

How are the leaders in this field ? Any sugggestions on how to combat them ?

offer free delivery and removal of old cover is a good way that people seem to appreciate, especially since some people wait until the thing weighs 100lbs.+ before buying a new one. Also remind people that some of these spa covers for $300 shipped to your door type places maybe selling a cover that is 3" to 2" with a 1 pound foam instead of a something a little thicker with 2 pound foam like some manufacturer covers are, so what they do is try and sell you upgrades like upgraded foam, vapor barrier, UV protection, $100 to expedite the order because most people don't want to wait 3 weeks to get it, etc. and by the time your done upgrading the thing your at $500+. Also from some of my experiences I just have to say 2 words regarding getting warranty from some of these online cover places and that is "good luck"

I also know there is some very reputable places to buy covers online and in those cases it is much easier to sell against because these places are actually building good quality covers using good materials, therefore there prices are not a "steal" compared to mine and in those cases I can usually match it. Actually I believe one of the owners? and/or moderators? of this forum (not sure which) manufacturers and sells covers online and they seem to have good feedback.

edit: see above lol didn't get this one in quick enough

I find it now a days customers want it all free measuring , free delivery ( which you have to do because they do )disposal and a good price !

For the majority of customers it is price over quality

depends on the product, I never really have a problem with the covers...its the chemicals