Viking Fiberglass Pools - Experience

Guest Jkapit

Guest Karina and Brian

I bought a fiberglass viking pool. My aunt has a white fiberglass pool that is 15 years old and has been a great pool, so we knew we wanted fiberglass. But, we wanted blue. One salesman for another manufacturer told me that the clear gel coat on the surface would yellow with the sun, and that the metallic glitter flakes would rust. He told us that white pools were tinted with titanium which is the most durable pigment and the colored pools that viking makes are clear gel coat which does not hold up to UV light. We thought it was just mud slinging and bought it the cristite blue viking pool.

We were happy, and we love the fiberglass pool. Its been in the backyard for 2 1/2 years now and sure enough, the pool has a yellow cast to it, and the little blue sparkles have rusted. They are small, so you don't notice it right away, but you can see that the color is weird. Close inspection shows a rust colored ring around each flake and the clear gel coat spaces are indeed yellow. Of course, this is not covered by Vikings 7 year finish warranty. I found it funny that the viking salesman that I bought my pool from said he never heard of anything like that, and that the other manufacturer was just trying to scare me... but that other guy was right on the money. We shoud have boughten white and put tile on, like he suggested. I had the proof on my aunts pool right in front of me.

Buy fiberglass but don't buy vikings cristite finish.

I'm considering a CPC Pool which is a satelite of Viking Pools. I was just curious what other companies you considered, and if you know if the Gel Coating is used on Viking's White pools? I had the same concerns about the gel coating when I read about the 7 yr warranty, then your posting confirmed my suspicions. Anything you could offer in the way of advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Tom

I had my heart set on a black bottom pool, but was told it would fade over time. We didn't go with it and hearing your story I am glad. The only problem with the white pool is that it shows every speck. Let's look at the up side, it means we have clean, clear water!

Karen and Brian,

Thanks for your input. Sorry to hear that you're finish is not holding up like you thought it would. It just shocks me that they even sell it and lead you to beleive it will last for a very long time and it doesn't.

Right now I am probably going with gunite. The main reason was the overal width of the pool.

• 2 weeks later...

Please send a private e-mail to me with your name and address. We are the largest Viking pool dealer in the Midwest and have never heard anything quite so silly. The crystite coating on a Viking pool is several mills thick and extremely UV resistant. As far as the flakes rusting, I think you probably have a high metal content (iron, copper, magenese, etc.) which can cause surface staining on any type of pool. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

1)Can anyone tell me if they own a viking fiberglass pool and if they are happy with the durability of it.

2)Also, do you have a colored finish and has it faded at all?

Thanks.

We just had a Viking Fiberglass installed by an authorized dealer for Viking Pools and am very happy with the process and the result. Except for a couple of days delay on getting their sub contract to pour decking, everything was done within 2&1/2 weeks. We got sapphire blue crystite finish and contrary to what some people say about it being slippey, the pool feels and looks great. If we had to do it again, we would still choose them.

We just had a Viking Fiberglass installed by an authorized dealer for Viking Pools and am very happy with the process and the result. Except for a couple of days delay on getting their sub contract to pour decking, everything was done within 2&1/2 weeks. We got sapphire blue crystite finish and contrary to what some people say about it being slippey, the pool feels and looks great. If we had to do it again, we would still choose them.

I talked to a Viking dealer last night at a home show asked similar quesyons and was told no yellowing / fading and a 25 year guarantee .Now I think they may be losing credability and my business.

Stan

• 3 months later...

Please click on the following link for Vikings warranty.

http://www.vikingpools.net/warranty.htm

;)

I am new to this forum and we are considering a new in ground pool. I like the idea of the one piece fiberglass pool. We are in Maine and besides the cold weather effects I am also wondering about the fading.

I read the warranty, why is it only seven years? Does not seem like much for such an investment.

I am looking at Viking products as of now. something in the 15x36 or larger range. Any advice, comments,

expected price for a DIY package, would be welcome.

Thanks