New Hot Tub Water Quality Questions

gypsy

A family friend recently gave us a Jacuzzi Hot tub. (225 gal.) It is up and working, but now we need to get the water quality right. What is the best way to learn about water chemistry? We tested the water quality with the strips and our Bromine was low, and our pH and Alkalinity levels were high. Our friend gave us a box of chemicals, but we do not want to start putting them in unless we know what they will do to the water.

I found out that with Bromine you do run higher than usual pH levels, mine has a reading of between 7.9-8.0 which is actually OK with Bromine, my Alkalinity is the opposite to yours, I am low at 80 but it seems to work for me, I think as long as the two readings are stable you are fine. Hopefully some of the expert should pipe in soon with more detailed advice.

Thanks for the replies. I added some acid, now my levels test within range. My only means of testing are strips. Today I went to the local spa store to buy a test kit and all they sell are strips. So when I came home I ordered a Taylor k-2106 online. Should have it by Thursday. I'll post more when I get the proper test results. Thanks again, Gypsy

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry it's taken so long to get back, I had a delay in the arrival of the test kit combined with learning how to use it. Following the advise on the link to Water Bear's recommendations, I've been able to keep my total alkalinity right around 100 ppm; my pH has been around 7.4 - 7.6; and my bromine level around a 5 or a 6. I add 2 oz. of Clorox every time I use the tub, and the levels have been pretty consistent. My pH creeps up and if I add around a 1/4 oz. of muriatic acid it brings it right back to ideal. After adjusting the pH 3 or 4 times, I have to add an oz. of baking soda to bring my TA back to 100 ppm. My concern is my calcium hardness is only 150 ppm right out of the tap. I have well water and my only means of treatment are a particle filter and a charcoal filter. Do I need to raise my calcium hardness, and if so, how should I go about it? I do get some foaming when I use the jets on high. Will raising my calcium hardness help this also?

Thanks for your help, I would have never made it this far without this forum!

Gypsy

Calcium hardness at 150 should be fine. Does the "foaming" go away pretty quickly after you turn the jets off? If so, I wouldn't worry about it.

Regarding TA, your tub might prefer TA 80. See whether the pH is more stable at TA 80; if not, then your current routine sounds reasonable. Another option to stabilize pH is to add 50ppm borates. I do that, and it takes months for the pH to move up enough to need correcting.

--paulr