Questions On Non Chlorine Shock

path

I have recently purchased a used 2 person marquis hottub (150 gallon).

I am using a bromine and non-chlorine shock system.

I am looking for advise on how to administer the shock.

Q1 - WEEKLY SHOCK

The container states that I should shock the tub once per week.

They recommend 2 ounces of the powdered shock for a 275 gallon tub.

So for 150 gallons I am thinking 1 ounce.

My question is - how do i determine how much 1 ounce of powdered shock is - with out purchasing a weigh scale?

Q2 - DAILY SHOCK

On one of the threads someone recommended adding a tablespoon of shock after every use.

http://www.poolspaforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=10492&st=0&p=46087&hl=shock&fromsearch=1entry46087

I have been following this - and it appears to be keeping my water in good condition (running now about 2 weeks).

Do people use this metheod (daily light shock) very much?

If I do this after every use - and I am using it 5 days out of 7 - do I still need to do the weekly shock?

chem geek's recommended rule-of thumb is to add 5 fluid ounces of 6% unscented bleach or 7 teaspoons of 43% MPS per person hour of soaking. This seems to work well for most people as long as they adjust the amounts based on their readings. I think that you could add MPS or bleach after soaking. I recommend bleach because the MPS adds sulfates that some people might have an adverse reaction to. If you use a bromine floater, then you would use substantially less bleach or MPS after each soak. If you shock after each soak, then you should not need the weekly shock.

The key is to maintain an adequate sanitizer level at all times. Your floater (if you are using one) will provide a continuous bromine supply. You should try to use the minimum amount of tabs as possible to reduce the buildup of 5-5 dimethylhydantoin. 5-5 dimethylhydantoin is the carrier chemical for the bromine in the tabs similar to how cyanuric acid is the carrier for chlorine in trichlor or dichlor. You should add enough bleach or MPS after you soak so that there is a sufficient level for your next soak (about 4 ppm).

Some people have their floater set to supply most of their bromine demand and use very little supplemental oxidizer.

1.3 ounces weight is equivalent to about 1 ounce in volume of MPS. 4.6 teaspoons of MPS are about 1 ounce (weight)

There is a two step bromine program and a three step bromine program. The three step program uses a floater and the two step does not use a floater. See this post where waterbear describes the three step bromine program.

If your ozonator is working properly, it will oxidize some of the bromide to bromine and you will be able to use less bleach, MPS or bromine tabs.

Thanks for the quick response.

Just as an FYI - I am using the SPA FROGGER system.

By me dumping in the 1 teaspoon of shock daily - i have only had to have the frogger set at level 1 or 2 (minimum setting).

Being a newbie - I have been actively monitoring the chemical balance and it has been good.

So I guess that is the bottom line - the current system appears to be working.

So where do I get "unscented bleach" - is that something I get from a spa shop or my local hardware?