Peroxysan

badger1981

Hello everyone I am new to owning a hot tub and also new to this forum. I have A question about PEROXYSAN. I have been using this stuff for about three weeks now and it has been working great. Although I find I have to continuly be adding peroxysan to keep it up to the recommended ppm. At the rate I'm going It'll cost me $160.00/ Month. I went to the Dairy supply store in our town and found I can can get 27% food grade hydrogen peroxcide for a 1/8 of the price. Does anyone know if this is the same stuff and will it work? Any input would be great. Thanks

Probably the cheapest and one of the best ways to sanitize your tub is the diclor-then-bleach method. Read about it here. I have been using it for over a year and it works great. You use clorox brand chlorine bleach. It's hard to find any sanitizer cheaper (or more effective) than that.

Hydrogen peroxide is is really an "oxidizer" more than a "sanitizer". It takes longer for it to kill dangerous bacteria or viruses that may be introduced into your tub by bathers. Chlorine (or bromine) kills things very fast ... making the water safer for you.

In regards to the above link, don't be intimidated by it. It's long and detailed. I would read the whole thing, but most of the things you need to do are in the summary section. It goes a little like this ...

1. Get a good test kit so you actually know what's going on in your tub. You should do this regardless of the type of sanitizer you use.

2. Balance the water. Again, this should be done for all tubs, regardless of the type of sanitizer.

3. Use diclor (dry chlorine) for a week or two as your sanitizer. Diclor is relatively cheap.

4. Then switch to clorox bleach - regular/unscented brand.

Lastly, don't add hydrogen peroxide and chlorine together ... they cancel each other out. I don't know anything about peroxysan, so I cant' make any recommendations in this regard. If you decide to use the diclor then bleach method it might be a good idea to refill the tub and start with fresh water ... can't hurt.

Good luck,

- Simon

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Rotospa hot tub and use peroxide as well. I've had my tub just over a year. I used to use Peroxysan, but it's way too expensive. I use 35% peroxide and get it much much cheaper than the Peroxysan. I used to use both Peroxysan and 35% peroxide, but eventually stopped with the Peroxysan.

I haven't changed my tub water since May 16. It's still crystal clear and smells like nothing.

I didn't find anything positive about h202 on here either, but I still lurk to share my experience for those that inquire about it. It's not EPA approved, but that doesn't bother me. I have the option of soaking in sludge if I want to. (someone said that in one of my threads) I def have learned a lot on this site though. Most important : peroxide and chlorine together is bad!

Have a look at my threads. I had a hell of a time when I first started out, but once we got a 'clean' tub, we haven't had any problems.

My biggest mistake in the beginning was not sticking to the schedule. (ie keeping proper h202 level and rotating filters)

I can't give my opinion on chlorine or bromine because I've never used either of them. I just hate the smell after being at the pool in town so I'm sticking with what works for me.

Drop me a line if you have any questions. I'm quite happy with my choice.