Noob's Experience With Ace Salt System And Some Q's

Theojt

I'm about 2 weeks post delivery of my Grandee with the ACE system. I filled the tub and followed the directions per the dealer:

(1) Put ACT bag over the spa drain for 24 hrs (flip it over at 12 hrs).

(2) Check TA and pH, adjust if necessary.

(3) Add salt (6 cups)

(4) Set Spa Size = 8, Use Level = 3 (ACE should be running now)

(3) Bring FC up to 3-5 range using Dichlor

Everything went pretty well but the ACE system took a while to "catch up" with chlorine production. The FC would fall off each day to 1-2ppm until about the 4th day when everything finally seemed to be stabilzied. The Ace system is now keeping the water pristine and soft. With my Use set at 3, the FC is stable at 3ppm; TA and pH are not drifting, at least not noticably (my Taylor kit isn't here yet so I'm just using strips). I guess this is similar to the Dichlor/Bleach method except that it's the Dichlor/Salt method and the salt/ACE is maintaining the FC levels.

Here are my questions:

(1) Do I still need to do 'pre-dosing' with Dichlor or MPS if (significant) higher use is expected (like a party)? I know the ACE system has a boost if you know 24 hrs in advance of the higher usage but what if you don't know ahead of time? I don't think the ACE system measures anything other than the salt level, so it doesn't actively monitor or adjust sanitation. Would it be better to just shock it after the higher use?

(2) What about weekly shocks to 12 ppm - are these still necessary or advised?

Any other advice from those with more experience than me?

Thank you.

I get to start all over again in a week or two when the dealer comes to do my first repair - the electrician drilled a hole right through a drain line on the tub. What an idiot! At least I have a working temporary patch on it.

I am about to purchase a Vanguard with the ACE. I am very interested in your thoughts on the ACE system. Please keep us posted on your likes and/or dislikes. Is your electrician footing the repair bill? I think I would have gone nuts on him.

Yeah, I had a few words with his installer but he is footing the bill for all required repairs. I later found out that the installation electrician had also pulled aluminum wire from the Service Panel to the spa panel. This is against Hotsprings recommendation and I beleive against NEC code - so he's doing that over with copper on Monday. I guess the lesson here is that you need to check up on everybody's work, regardless of their reputation or the dealer's recommendation to use them.

It sounds like you have done right and have the system adjusted perfectly for your normal use level. Ace does take a while to build a residual in the water at initial fill up. (something to keep in mind when you initially get the spa, the excitment level is usually at the highest so you will be using it more than normal most likely. I had one customer who called and said the Ace system wasn't working,well come to find out, once it was filled up and ready to use, the kids were using it constantly 12 or more hours a day and the Ace system was not able to keep up with that kind of demand right off the bat. So my recommendation is to keep an eye on the FC level in the few weeks of start up, especially if you will see that high of use level and manually add some chlorine if needed to bring the FC up to a safe level. It is perfectly fine (and desired to be safe) to manually add chlorine with the Ace System in situations like that. )

The boost function makes the Ace system work continuously for a 24 hr period, then drops back to your normal setting automatically. If your FC is in the recommended range before your party, I would just boost after the party and you should be fine.

You only need to test and balance the water every 30 days as per the owners manual. (no weekly shocks)

I hope you enjoy your hot tub. Happy Soaking.

• 2 weeks later...

It sounds like you have done right and have the system adjusted perfectly for your normal use level. Ace does take a while to build a residual in the water at initial fill up. (something to keep in mind when you initially get the spa, the excitment level is usually at the highest so you will be using it more than normal most likely. I had one customer who called and said the Ace system wasn't working,well come to find out, once it was filled up and ready to use, the kids were using it constantly 12 or more hours a day and the Ace system was not able to keep up with that kind of demand right off the bat. So my recommendation is to keep an eye on the FC level in the few weeks of start up, especially if you will see that high of use level and manually add some chlorine if needed to bring the FC up to a safe level. It is perfectly fine (and desired to be safe) to manually add chlorine with the Ace System in situations like that. )

The boost function makes the Ace system work continuously for a 24 hr period, then drops back to your normal setting automatically. If your FC is in the recommended range before your party, I would just boost after the party and you should be fine.

You only need to test and balance the water every 30 days as per the owners manual. (no weekly shocks)

I hope you enjoy your hot tub. Happy Soaking.

Thanks for the input. Sounds like it really will be minimal maintenance, My water looks crystal clear since refilling, despite significant use. I also learned how worthless those strips are once I got my Taylor kit. Some are close, others are so far off, I'm sure it would play havoc with a user's water chemistry if they trusted them at all.