Salt Water

Wild Bill

My wife has always wanted a hot tub so when one was given to me I took it... I decided if I was going to go to all the work it just wasn't nice enough so... This is a budget install and I am ready to install the heater, pump etc. and have been doing research on chlorine, bromine, and came across salt. I'm just wondering while it would take more work to manage the water over buying a chlorine generator the benefit I would want would be better smell, skin feel and Epsom salt benefits. chlorine tablets work just fine in this fashion?

My wife has always wanted a hot tub so when one was given to me I took it... I decided if I was going to go to all the work it just wasn't nice enough so... This is a budget install and I am ready to install the heater, pump etc. and have been doing research on chlorine, bromine, and came across salt. I'm just wondering while it would take more work to manage the water over buying a chlorine generator the benefit I would want would be better smell, skin feel and Epsom salt benefits. chlorine tablets work just fine in this fashion?

Wild Bill,

It would be much simpler and cheaper to use a chlorine generator. Too much to explain here Search technichlor and Lance Fitzsimmons to get complete information and a free ebook that explains it.

I installed a small INTEX Saltwater system. Works great 3 years now. I use the tub twice a day. I Run the system for 20 min when I get out. always clean NO chemicals,just a bit of acid once a week to keep the PH in range. Intex discontinued them but they are still on Ebay for $139.00. Intex now puts Copper IONS in the water and Chlorine, never messed with one of the new ones. The warning about green hair turned me off. Use soft water to keep the plates from building up Calcium. A Hardness of zero to 150 is great. Chemical cost is about $5.00 a year 3Cups of salt each water change. Also Hayward makes a small system (Goldline Hayward AquaTrol RJ Salt Chlorine Generator) its about $450 on ebay I'm going to use one of them if mine quits and I cant find Intex on Ebay any longer. I the system on my pool too, works great 100 Lbs of salt though $15 a year.

Try to stick with a brand that has been around long-time, such as the Goldline AquaTrol mentioned above. It may be a bit more, but you'll have long-term support, as opposed to whatever name Costco is getting from China this week. AquaTrol has been around a long time & is proven technology. Goldline didn't invent the saltwater chlorine generator, but they did perfect it, now everyone else is copying them.

the benefit I would want would be better smell, skin feel and Epsom salt benefits
I'm not sure you would experience those benefits. An SWG is nothing more than a chlorine generator....that's it. It's the same chlorine as if you put Clorox in your pool.

The "better feel" of the saltwater may have some merit but many detect no difference. The smell should be the same....virtually nil.

What an SWG DOES provide in large quantities is convenience and I think it should be viewed with that primary benefit in mind.