What Kind Of Heater

icemom20

I live on the Cape (in MA) was wondering what it would cost to get a heater for our in ground pool that is 16 x 32 salt water pool. I have seen that they say to get a 250,000 btu for the pool but what is the cost to run a heater? Which one should I get a natural gas or propane? monthly cost to run the heater. Just look to warm up the pool in the spring April, May part of June temp to only 80 then turn it off for July and Aug then back on for Sept Oct.or must it be on all the time to it to be cost efficent? Trying to get my husband to put in a heater and he keeps saying it cost to much..like $500 a month for just the NG ? I was thinking propane? Need some help in the argument dept if so facts thanks you

Most pool heaters range from 78 to 84 percent effcient. If it is 84 that means that for every dollar you spend on gas 84 cents goes to heat the water. If already have nat gas at the house get a nat gas heater. Doing what your describing just warming up the water and not maintaining heat it will not cost $500 to use. Most heaters will do 1-2 degrees and hours and you should also use a solar blanket to keep the heat in the water. I prefer Raypack Heaters over any others.

Kenny

Cost of the heater??? Good question. I can pick up a commercial 400k btu (raypak) for under $1900 wholesale. BTW I'd recommend a 400K. It simply heats the water faster than a 250k. Expect 1 degree per hour. Cost? Unfair question. What is the water temperature, and what do you intend to heat it to? What is the cost of NG in your area? In Dallas, we use solar blankets to heat pools up "earlier" than those that don't. Heating them in our area... Although almost every pool is a spa/pool combo with a heater... is simply to expensive. You should also consider solar heating, if you have a southern exposure roof you wouldn't mind having a solar set-up on, use google earth to determine exposure.

As to what type of heater wanting to know which is more efficiant heater propane or nG.. I live on Cape Cod we open the pool in May with the temp at 65 we use a solar cover and by Jun the temp is up to 78 maybe 80.Would like to keep the pool at 80 maybe 82 would like to have use of the pool from May to Oct.. Temps here in fall get to be 40 or so day temp to 60.AS to gas price I am not sure we are on a budget plan and pay 70 a month thru the year. thank you all for your help in this matter. Thank you

Typically... NG is cheaper than propane... However I don't know about your area... If there is a lot of propane tanks, and propane delivery services... Then I would reason that propane, could be (but not likely) less expensive than NG. In D/FW TX NG is considerably lower than propane. I can't say that I know that to be true across all the states.