Too Much Chlorine

JimKW

I had to replace the pump motor on my Sundance Optima so I drained the tub and put in the new pump. When I refilled I put the chlorine with dichlor in, but I accidently put in 4 ounces instead of 4 teaspoons. Now my chlorine count is 12.5. I know it will go down over time, but is there a way to lower it? I don't want to use it with it that high. Wife is ticked off at me, and I'm a little ticked at myself for not reading more carefully. Knew what I did right after I did it too.

Assuming a 400 gallon tub, 4 ounces of dichlor should have increased your FC to about 40 ppm. It's about the equivalent of adding 1 quart of bleach.

Any time your chemistry gets really far off, I think that the fastest and easiest solution is usually to drain and refill.

If your FC is actually only 12.5 ppm, then it should be fine to use because the dichlor should have raised the cyanuric acid to about 40 ppm as well.

If you want to lower the FC a little bit, you could add 1 ounce by volume of 3 % hydrogen peroxide or 0.05 ounces by weight (1.42 grams) of sodium thiosulfate (chlorine neutralizer available from the pool store) to lower the FC by 1 ppm in a 400 gallon tub.

Any time you're doing a chlorine reduction, you should add about half of the calculated amount and then retest after about 10 minutes.

What is your cyanuric acid level?

How many gallons is your tub?

Assuming a 400 gallon tub, 4 ounces of dichlor should have increased your FC to about 40 ppm. It's about the equivalent of adding 1 quart of bleach.

Any time your chemistry gets really far off, I think that the fastest and easiest solution is usually to drain and refill.

If your FC is actually only 12.5 ppm, then it should be fine to use because the dichlor should have raised the cyanuric acid to about 40 ppm as well.

If you want to lower the FC a little bit, you could add 1 ounce by volume of 3 % hydrogen peroxide or 0.05 ounces by weight (1.42 grams) of sodium thiosulfate (chlorine neutralizer available from the pool store) to lower the FC by 1 ppm in a 400 gallon tub.

Any time you're doing a chlorine reduction, you should add about half of the calculated amount and then retest after about 10 minutes.

What is your cyanuric acid level?

How many gallons is your tub?

I'm at work right now, so I don't have my readings in front of me. It is a 483 gal tub and I believe my CYA was right at 40. Told my wife to leave the cover off some today and let the sun get to the water. Usually when I first fill it I have to keep putting chlorine in for a while anyway. So it could go down on it's own today. I will check it again when I get home. thanks.