Liner Replacement Questions

Trumpet Guy

Hi All,

New pool owner and forum member here! We bought our house over the winter and opened it this spring to find that it needs a new liner and that the return line is leaking in several places (maybe a topic for another post). Seems like this is the best time of year for pool companies to replace the liner and replumb lines as it is a bit of a down time before the fall closing rush. We're leaving town for a couple of weeks so don't mind having the pool closed to do some work.

Anywho, I have basically two questions about the liner. I've had 4 different estimates for the liner ranging from $2900 - $3500 CDN and it seems like everybody thinks their manufacturer is the best and that you have to watch out for crappy liners. What should I be looking for? Is there a best brand? I'm looking at Kafko, Poolwerx and Pleasure-Way liners. Last two may be Canadian only companies. Is 28 Mil ok (Pleasure-Way), or should I stick with 30?

Two guys say there is nothing wrong with my early 80s plastic coping (installed by Fox/Pioneer) and two say I should install Aluminum replacement track ($800-$1000). Thoughts?

Many thanks for your help!

Hi All,

New pool owner and forum member here! We bought our house over the winter and opened it this spring to find that it needs a new liner and that the return line is leaking in several places (maybe a topic for another post). Seems like this is the best time of year for pool companies to replace the liner and replumb lines as it is a bit of a down time before the fall closing rush. We're leaving town for a couple of weeks so don't mind having the pool closed to do some work.

Anywho, I have basically two questions about the liner. I've had 4 different estimates for the liner ranging from $2900 - $3500 CDN and it seems like everybody thinks their manufacturer is the best and that you have to watch out for crappy liners. What should I be looking for? Is there a best brand? I'm looking at Kafko, Poolwerx and Pleasure-Way liners. Last two may be Canadian only companies. Is 28 Mil ok (Pleasure-Way), or should I stick with 30?

Two guys say there is nothing wrong with my early 80s plastic coping (installed by Fox/Pioneer) and two say I should install Aluminum replacement track ($800-$1000). Thoughts?

Many thanks for your help!

Being an installer of both Kafko & Poolwerx Liners, the quality is equal in my opinion. Pleasureway gets their vinyl from the same manufacturer as Poolwerx & Deys fab. It all comes down to personal taste on the liner pattern. I find more have preferred to go with the lighter blue prism floor pattern(Kafko/Triac/ Latham) over the dark blue prism(Deys/Pleasurewway/SCP). Next if its in your budget get new deck coping your pool will look much better. I recommend the 1 peice extruded pvc deck coping over the aluminum with a pvc top cap. Kafko has the better coping IMO. Their corner caps are far superior then everyone elses generics & will outlast. Vastec also makes good deck coping but the corners are generic. When it comes to joint caps do not accept any abs candy cane shaped caps they will break down and crack in 2 years. They were made for Buster Crabbe Pools but now companies are using them for other coping because they are cheap. Check outhttp://www.cgtpoolliners.com/index.htm each pattern will tell you who sells the liners. Post a pic of your current coping & we can comment.