Algae Or Organism?

I have switched to a salt system this year, and all was fine till a couple weeks ago. I started seeing these tiny perfectly shaped "flowers" in the bottom of my pool. I would get them out only to have them return the next day. Within a day or so, these grew into what is in this picture . They are about 1/4" in diameter and are forming the stacks or came from the stack seen in the center. My pool only requires 1/2 lb of shock, and I put 3 lbs in last weekend. Most of them died, but now I am finding very small stacks of these in the middle of the pool about every few hours. They are about 1/16" diameter. I have even re-shocked the pool with 2 more lbs, and they are still there!!! So far NO ONE has been able to tell me what they are or if they are dangerous in any way. I would like to get rid of them!!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

DSC05028.jpg

It is common for Round Pools to have "Dead water" in the center of the Pool, this is because the water circulates AROUND the Pool leaving a Donut pattern where the Donot Hole consists of uncirculated and unchlorinated water!

Your description of these things growing in the center of the Pool is proof the phenomenon of dead water in the center of a pool exsists.

Your solution therefore is to:

1. Direct the Pump output so the water shoots directly across the center of the round pool and points toward the bottom of the pool. You may need a more powerful pump. Watch debris, leaves, dirt to see if it's being moved across the bottom in the center of the pool.

2. Swim in the Pool more often and when you do mix up the water.

3. In future consider a smaller pool that is easier to circulate all the water and requires less maintenance, chemicals and your time.

Though clearly circulation is important, I also suspect that your Free Chlorine (FC) level is not sufficient for your Cyanuric Acid (CYA) level. Without a high enough FC/CYA ratio, algae can grow faster than chlorine can kill it. If you are following the 1-3 ppm FC with 60-80 ppm CYA recommendation from your salt manufacturer, that is NOT enough to prevent algae growth. You need the FC to be a minimum of 5% of the CYA level and that assumes proper circulation. So that's a minimum of 4 ppm FC with 80 ppm CYA. Also, you should have a proper test kit to make sure that your saltwater chlorine generator is actually generating enough chlorine. Get a Taylor K-2006 or a TF-100 test kit.

As was noted in the above post, redirect your returns to get better bottom circulation. Even if you don't direct them towards the bottom middle, just directing them diagonally downwards will help (they are probably pointed straight out or upwards so that you aren't getting any bottom circulation).

Thank you both for your replies. I have adjusted the return towards the center as suggested. I am not new to having a pool. I have had this same pool for 5 seasons now and this is the first time I have seen something like this growing in there. This is the first season for salt water though. I assure you that the FC chlorine levels are kept at 3 PPM minimum. I was told that anything higher than that is not safe to swim in. I have also been told to keep the ph around 7.6, but some friends of mine have theirs over 8. Am I being told wrong by my pool supply people? Like I said, these have survived a 6 times dose of shock. Which to me is just amazing.

I really want to know what these are. They might be some type of algae, but for the life of me, I cannot find ANY information on them or their perfect flower shape.