Need Advice From Pool Owners

I am currently in the process of getting a pool installed. I already have the shell shot. I am now having second thoughts about the depth I have chosen. I chose to have 3 ft on each end and 6 feet in the middle. My pool is 14x29. After reading some comments, I am concerned that the slope will be too steep to get to the 6 feet so quickly and I won't like it.

My pool builder quoted me $1000 to change the depth and I just don't know if the additional cost is worth it.

Can anyone shed some light???

It's all a matter of how you use the pool. Mine is 16 x 40. 3.5 feet in the shallow and 6 feet on the other end. We put 4 foot quarter round swim outs on the deep side so my two girls use those a ton for playing and getting in and out. The deep end makes jumping and diving safer. My girls spend 90 % in the deep end even though the younger can't touch bottom.

My 2 cents is I would change it, but you know better.

FWIW I just had my first pool completed in April. It's approx 12' x 23'. Several contractors suggested 3'6" to 5'6" but the guy I settled on tossed out the option of only going to 4'6". I couldn't be happier with my decision. I can stand at all times with drink in hand :). Personally I wouldn't find a 6' depth useful for anything. It's nice to be able to walk or swim at any point in my pool. I don't think you'd want to dive into 6' anyway. I'd only change you pool for an additional 1K if you find it appealing to walk up to chest level and not have to tread water, swim, or find a float. I spent years swimming laps, now I just like hanging out in my pool. I'll be curious to hear what you decide.

Cheers,

Hans

I think that you would have been better off with the pool going from 3 feet on one side to six feet on the other. What you have does not sound too good. It would be a major deal to do that now, but it could be done.

If you don't want to do that, I think that you would be better off not having the six foot depth. You could probably go to four feet in the middle, that would give you a smoother transition, but any more would probably not be good.

I think the slopes will be excessive, I drew it out on graph paper...the only real concern in my mind is kids running into trouble. Our slope is around 30 degress and have already had a kid slip into water that was too deep for "his liking" after only 2 months of pool usage (we are new pool owners)

My pool builder suggested 5 or 5.5 feet and I said no, I want 6. And now I am having second thoughts. I feel like spending 1K to do something that would have initially have been free is a tough pill to swallow :)

I understand how you feel. However, if it's going to make a significant difference, then it's worth it. We all make mistakes, and sometimes they cost us a little bit of money, but that's life.

My pool builder suggested 5 or 5.5 feet and I said no, I want 6. And now I am having second thoughts. I feel like spending 1K to do something that would have initially have been free is a tough pill to swallow :)

I understand how you feel. However, if it's going to make a significant difference, then it's worth it. We all make mistakes, and sometimes they cost us a little bit of money, but that's life.

You can drive yourself nuts during the process thinking of all the "should haves". The day you fill it and swim a lot of this hand-wringing will go away. I haven't once had a situation where I really cared about the depth. You get used to what is there. Deeper can be fun to dive, shallower is nice because you can always stand. But a big tub of sanitized water is just a lot of regardless of the depths. Don't beat yourself up. If a thousand bucks is doable for your budget then that makes the decision easier, but in the end you will enjoy it if it's well built.

Thats great advice..and probably SO true. The pool has had nothing but delays and all this idle time sure has me thinking about WAY too much.

Just curious, what did you decide to do? I think some of the other guys are correct.... When all is said and done you'll love your pool.

I actually haven't decided yet. They are pouring the footers today. I'm going to see if I can get my PB to come down on the price to do it. If he can, I'll probably do it if not I think I'll just have to live with it. $1000 is just too much for me to change the depth 6 inches..

Our pool is similar to yours. It is approximately 16 x 35 with an attached spa. Depth at each end is 3 1/2, for about 6 feet, then slopes to about 6 ft in the center. At one point, i thought the ends should have been 6 inches deeper, but all in all, the depth is fine. Easy to stand/relax at the ends and the slope is not excessive as far as i can tell. Nobody complains about the slope when they are in it. And the slope adds a little challenge during volley ball games. Enjoy your pool.