De Filter Problem

ramlal

Hi,

I am having some issue with my DE filter. I have an inground pool, I recently realized that the pressure gauge on the pump was upto 20 psi, so in a act of hurry I ended up putting more DE through the skimmer instead of backwashing the pool. I am a new owner of the pool, so barely know anything about it. I am not sure if the addition of DE caused this problem or something else, but my filter has been acting wierd since then. The pressure gauge on the pump keeps jumping from 10 psi to 0 psi, it fluctuates a lot and if I turn on and off the pump it stays on 0 for a minute, than it will hit 10 psi and sec or two later it will be back to 0 psi. Also, I can see the DE chemical still floating in the water - I took the water sample to local pool store, they said I only need to backwash it everything else is good. I added backwash and still I see some chemical floating in the water. I can't figure out what's going on, is it the pressure gauge that's broken or is it filter grid or is it something else? Reason I think it could be the pressure gauge is because it keeps fluctuating and because of that water keeps running through skimmer every few min's and it makes really loud noise when the water through the skimmer. I would really appreciate if I can get some input on this, so please let me know what you think could be the issue or if you have faced something similar please inform me what you think is the best appropriate solution for this.

Thank you for your help in advance.

Your skimmer is sucking in air. Either the water is too low, or the weir door is stuck.

Hey, thanks for your reply. What's a weir door? Is that the door near the skimmer, because I do see the skimmer door flapping up and down... and to increase the water level I assume I just can put in tap water or should that be any specific kind of water?

You mentioned that you "added backwash". Backwashing is a procedure, not something added to the pool. Can you describe what you do when you backwash? You may have too much D.E. in the filter and that would explain the pump struggling.

You mentioned that you "added backwash". Backwashing is a procedure, not something added to the pool. Can you describe what you do when you backwash? You may have too much D.E. in the filter and that would explain the pump struggling.

My mistake, I meant to say after I took the water sample I added shock since the chlorine level was little low. Backwashing is I agree a different procedure which is done by opening the back valve up and let the dirt go through. How do I clean up the DE in the filter, does that require opening the filter cap up and cleaning the grids?

Release pressure first, then open filter and hose down the filter element.

Generally with fresh DE, you start with a pressure of say 20 psi. After use and depending on the dirt, the pressure rises. After say a 10 psi rise you backwash and add about 80 -90 percent of the DE required at start up.

You should contact the filter manufacturer and get the operating manual.

MOST IMPORTANT, release pressure before you open the filter.

Thanks for your help guys!! My pool has started working again, I guess it was the water level that created the issue at first place only. So added the water, primed the filter and it started working fine. Thank you once again for your help. :)