Would Broken Ozinator Tube Cause Pump/heater To Stop Working?

Alisa

When I turned the hot tub back on after cleaning the tub and refilling it, there were no bubbles coming up from the bottom of the tub and after a few minutes, something starting to make an awful grinding/squealing noise (pump or heater, not sure). I have turned off the power. I noticed that the norprene tubing has broken off where it attatches to the ozinator (the outlet nipple snapped in half) and the tube is hanging loose. If the tube is disconnected, would this prevent water from circulating through the pump and heater and therefore, cause that noise? Or do I potentially have a separate problem on my hands? (Also, any suggestions for fixing the ozinator myself would be great. It is a Fresh Water III Ozone Purification System)

When I turned the hot tub back on after cleaning the tub and refilling it, there were no bubbles coming up from the bottom of the tub and after a few minutes, something starting to make an awful grinding/squealing noise (pump or heater, not sure). I have turned off the power. I noticed that the norprene tubing has broken off where it attatches to the ozinator (the outlet nipple snapped in half) and the tube is hanging loose. If the tube is disconnected, would this prevent water from circulating through the pump and heater and therefore, cause that noise? Or do I potentially have a separate problem on my hands? (Also, any suggestions for fixing the ozinator myself would be great. It is a Fresh Water III Ozone Purification System)

The ozone tubing being disconnected is not your issue. Turn the spa on and confirm whether you have flow coming out of the circ pump. If there are no bubbles for you to visually see the flow you'll have to put your hand over that return because that may be your issue. If that's the case you may simply have an air lock in that circ pump resulting in no flow and the noise or that sound could be a bad circ pump. Verifiy the pump is working before you worry about the ozone.

It is and it isn't an ozone problem.

Probably air lock in the circulation pump. When you filled it did you put the hose in the filter standpipe? This helps prime the circ pump, although sometimes this doesn't prime it.

Put your hose in the filter standpipe and turn it on full blast. Let it run 10 seconds and then plug in the spa.

See if you have flow from the circ pump - feel the bottom drain in the spa for flow. You can have flow with no bubbles. If no flow either the circ pump isn't primed or you need a new one.

If you have flow take the neoprene hose off the ozone injector (inline with one of the heater hoses) and you should get bubbles. This would mean bad neoprene hose and/or a bad ozone check valve. Replace the neoprene hose with 1/4" vinyl hose - you can get it at Lowe's or Home Depot. You may have to take the ozone box apart to see how bad the nipple for the hose is - I've been able to attach it inside the ozone unit. If not you will need to replace the ozone unit. You can get some made by other manuf. pretty cheap. Make sure you get CD ozone.

Sorry Spatech - I was writing while you posted - don't type so fast.

It is and it isn't an ozone problem.

Probably air lock in the circulation pump. When you filled it did you put the hose in the filter standpipe? This helps prime the circ pump, although sometimes this doesn't prime it.

Put your hose in the filter standpipe and turn it on full blast. Let it run 10 seconds and then plug in the spa.

See if you have flow from the circ pump - feel the bottom drain in the spa for flow. You can have flow with no bubbles. If no flow either the circ pump isn't primed or you need a new one.

If you have flow take the neoprene hose off the ozone injector (inline with one of the heater hoses) and you should get bubbles. This would mean bad neoprene hose and/or a bad ozone check valve. Replace the neoprene hose with 1/4" vinyl hose - you can get it at Lowe's or Home Depot. You may have to take the ozone box apart to see how bad the nipple for the hose is - I've been able to attach it inside the ozone unit. If not you will need to replace the ozone unit. You can get some made by other manuf. pretty cheap. Make sure you get CD ozone.

Sorry Spatech - I was writing while you posted - don't type so fast.

Okay, this is so helpful! I am starting to feel like I can tackle this. However, I have to admit now how clueless I am... I did not fill it through the filter standpipe because I don't know what that is! Where is it? I have a Hot Springs Grandee and in the filter compartment, there are five cylinder filters. Is that where you mean? (sorry - I just moved here and inherited a spa without a manual)

A huge air bubble came out when I blasted with the hose. Turned on the power and so far, all is quiet and it appears to be flowing nicely. So far so good!! Now, I'll just need to deal with this ozinator. Thank you thank you. I think you just saved me a bunch of money.