New Pool - Tips

Alisacab

Hi,

I need a little help. I have received several quotes for an in ground pool with a spa and everyone has a different opinion on how large the pump should be and the brand of equipment, etc. I am looking at a 16 x 32 pool with a 6 x 8 spa with a spill over to the pool.

How many HPs should a design like this have? 1.5, 2 or 2.5? Should it be dual?

How many skimmers? We are being quoted 2 (due to oak trees).

Do you know if oak trees pose a threat to the pool? Should I stay away a minimum number of feet from them?

What brand of salt water filtration system do you recommend and size?

How many jets for circulation in the pool? In the spa?

I can attach a photo of a 3d model of the pool if necessary. Please let me know. Thanks,

Alisa

Hi Alisa

I'll overview and get to some of your questions. What will the average depth be? If it is 4' then your total gallons will be about 15,400 give or take. We will assume that the run is average or what is called "within the base run" (most pool companies use 20') There are many factors that are unknown (distance from pool to equip, how many bends the run has etc) to get a really accurate idea. Generally a 6 hr turn over rate or 36 GPM is recommended. If it was just a pool then a 2hp should be fine (29,000 gallons in 6 hrs with average conditions), Pentair (my personal choice) or Hayward are good choices. The spa however will effect the hp of pump or pumps as well. The general rule is 1/2 hp per a jet (4 jets = 2hp)if there are 6 jets then a booster pump should be considered.

Quotes: Quotes will vary for many reasons here are a few:

pool companies purchase one brand of equip and always claim that it is the best. They get it at a discounted price and advertise it as "exclusive". Some companies pay more for the better equip, some don't, some get better discounts due to volume, some don't.

pool companies give quotes as mentioned above in "base runs" example: 70' perimeter (add all sides together or measure around the edge) with 300 sq ft of deck = $15995.00, every perimeter foot added is $200.00 etc (spa perimeter is $100). This is the same for everything. Spa base, floor system base etc. 20' base for pipes anything over 20' costs more per foot. Adding options like auto fill, xtra returns, xtra skimmer all have base amounts. All of this is based on how much the sub contractors are charging the pool companies OR how much it costs the pool company if they have in-house crews (cheaper labor)

actual construction costs: gunite or handpack, sub contractors or in-house, base runs and minimum amount of decking the list goes on and on.

Skimmers: another general rule is if the surface area exceeds 600 (length x width) the a 2nd skimmer should be added AND 1-2 additional pool returns as well to total 5-6. 2 1/2" pipe to the first skimmer with a 2 1/2 tee the reduced to 2" to the other skimmer.

spa a 6x8 should have at least 6 jets (2.5hp booster 2 1/2" suc and return), 8 makes more sense (3hp booster 3" suction and 2 1/2" return) should be adequate up to 100' run. the jets should be staggered, or the bench can be varied

I'll shut up now

and yes please attach 3D of proposed pool

p/c and s/s can address the other concerns better than I

Do you know if oak trees pose a threat to the pool? Should I stay away a minimum number of feet from them?

I'm not an arborist or tree expert and I tend to be a bit paranoid about trees close to pool installations, so my thoughts are not be taken as professional advice. Trees provide shade and that may be a good thing if pools in your area tend to get too warm in the summer. Trees also provide leaves, nuts (acorns) and miscellaneous debris; spiders and other insects; the animals that eat insects or nuts or leaves, including birds, squirrels, rats, [o]possums, snakes; and their excretions. If the trees are within 10 or 15 feet of the pool, these items ARE going to be distributed into the pool and that means an increase in maintenance (leaves/bark stain pools) and higher chlorine levels, to beat back (oxidize) the additional organic load on the pool. To determine if the pool will be directly threatened from roots I suggest determining the typical root ball size for the tree species closest to the pool and estimate its growth over the next 20 years. If during the dig you notice roots being dug out at the perimeter of the hole, remove the tree or plant that put them there.

I have a favorite sequoia sempervirens that I planted 15 yrs ago and an even older all-in-one almond tree, both less than fifteen feet from the pool at the time of build, that I refused to remove. But after only 3 years, I see the folly of this decision and will probably have to take them out in the next couple of years. Just my 2 cents.

Hi Alisa

I'll overview and get to some of your questions. What will the average depth be? If it is 4' then your total gallons will be about 15,400 give or take. We will assume that the run is average or what is called "within the base run" (most pool companies use 20') There are many factors that are unknown (distance from pool to equip, how many bends the run has etc) to get a really accurate idea. Generally a 6 hr turn over rate or 36 GPM is recommended. If it was just a pool then a 2hp should be fine (29,000 gallons in 6 hrs with average conditions), Pentair (my personal choice) or Hayward are good choices. The spa however will effect the hp of pump or pumps as well. The general rule is 1/2 hp per a jet (4 jets = 2hp)if there are 6 jets then a booster pump should be considered.

Quotes: Quotes will vary for many reasons here are a few:

pool companies purchase one brand of equip and always claim that it is the best. They get it at a discounted price and advertise it as "exclusive". Some companies pay more for the better equip, some don't, some get better discounts due to volume, some don't.

pool companies give quotes as mentioned above in "base runs" example: 70' perimeter (add all sides together or measure around the edge) with 300 sq ft of deck = $15995.00, every perimeter foot added is $200.00 etc (spa perimeter is $100). This is the same for everything. Spa base, floor system base etc. 20' base for pipes anything over 20' costs more per foot. Adding options like auto fill, xtra returns, xtra skimmer all have base amounts. All of this is based on how much the sub contractors are charging the pool companies OR how much it costs the pool company if they have in-house crews (cheaper labor)

actual construction costs: gunite or handpack, sub contractors or in-house, base runs and minimum amount of decking the list goes on and on.

Skimmers: another general rule is if the surface area exceeds 600 (length x width) the a 2nd skimmer should be added AND 1-2 additional pool returns as well to total 5-6. 2 1/2" pipe to the first skimmer with a 2 1/2 tee the reduced to 2" to the other skimmer.

spa a 6x8 should have at least 6 jets (2.5hp booster 2 1/2" suc and return), 8 makes more sense (3hp booster 3" suction and 2 1/2" return) should be adequate up to 100' run. the jets should be staggered, or the bench can be varied

I'll shut up now

and yes please attach 3D of proposed pool

p/c and s/s can address the other concerns better than I

I'm not an arborist or tree expert and I tend to be a bit paranoid about trees close to pool installations, so my thoughts are not be taken as professional advice. Trees provide shade and that may be a good thing if pools in your area tend to get too warm in the summer. Trees also provide leaves, nuts (acorns) and miscellaneous debris; spiders and other insects; the animals that eat insects or nuts or leaves, including birds, squirrels, rats, [o]possums, snakes; and their excretions. If the trees are within 10 or 15 feet of the pool, these items ARE going to be distributed into the pool and that means an increase in maintenance (leaves/bark stain pools) and higher chlorine levels, to beat back (oxidize) the additional organic load on the pool. To determine if the pool will be directly threatened from roots I suggest determining the typical root ball size for the tree species closest to the pool and estimate its growth over the next 20 years. If during the dig you notice roots being dug out at the perimeter of the hole, remove the tree or plant that put them there.

I have a favorite sequoia sempervirens that I planted 15 yrs ago and an even older all-in-one almond tree, both less than fifteen feet from the pool at the time of build, that I refused to remove. But after only 3 years, I see the folly of this decision and will probably have to take them out in the next couple of years. Just my 2 cents.

Thank you.

Thank you for all your help. I have attached a 3d sketch. I am thinking not to go more than 5 ft. at the deep end.

/Users/Shared/iPhoto Library/Originals/2010/Jun 18, 2010/LUIS_CABALLEROS_004.jpg

I am not sure if the picture attached.

Unfortunately, can't see the pics . It seems like the front (left) portion of the URL is missing.

There should be a web address that starts with http://

Try uploading to Photo Bucket or similar web photo site and then paste the address using the Insert Image function. They should show up when you click [Preview Post].