Inground vs. Above ground

Guest Steve

OK.. we decided to get a pool.. We want it to be really nice but I do have a grade that would require about 3K of additional excavation/fill/crushed stone for an inground.. not to mention a need to have my current deck ripped off and a new steps closer to the house one to be added.

Gunite will cost 35.5 which includes about 550sq of concrete decking, a mesh winterizing cover, all the basics… Add on the 3K additional expenses and a few other things and im looking at about 40K.

In ground Vinyl – they will put in a kit 18K a steel framed with roughly 400sq of concrete decking around the pool. I am guessing the same type of excavation will have to be done in this case.

Above ground – for about 5K for just the pool

So here Is my dilemma.. if I go the in ground route I would have to create a deck that stepped down and add a patio that connected to the pool decking. If I go the above ground route I would have decking go right from the house and wrap it half way around each sides of the pool.

Obviously the cheapest project would be the above ground as I could also get away will putting railings around the pool in place of spending a ton of money on a fence.

Anyone run into this same though process and if so any help would be appreciated.

I have the same dilemma. The inground will cost about 25,000 without the fence, an above ground will cost about 5,000 and I won't need fencing around due to the height with our township. Spending 30,000 seems like a lot when we can only get about 3 months of swimming in pennsylvania.Even with a heater, it could only extend it by a few weeks. Any one else have any suggestions? Thanks

Consider an ON Ground pool. The walls are made strong like an inground pool so you can backfill up against it. These are generally built witha wooden deck around them. They can be built on top of the ground, partially in the ground or totally in the ground. They are more expensive than above ground pools, but less expensive than in ground. Should end up between 10,000 and 20,000 installed.

If you can't find a dealer in your area, contact us at enterprise1826@neo.rr.com or visit our wesite Homesteadfamilypools.com

We have seen the on-grounds on-line but have not been able to find a dealer in New Jersey. In fact, when you call the swimming pool dealers, they don't even know what you're talking about when you ask if they sell on-ground or semi-in-ground pools! We can buy one on-line but then have to find an installer. Have not had any luck with that either. Anyone know of an installer in NJ who will install an on-ground?