Need To Replace Filter

derrick

I have an inground swimming pool that is roughly 10 years old. The pool is roughly 25,000 gallons and we have a 2HP pump and 60SF DE filter. The filter has begun leaking at the top of the tank and appears to have some cracks in the top and am ready to replace it. I have been reading about DE versus cartridge filters and am seriously considering using a 425SF cartridge filter instead of my DE filter. Is this an acceptable solution recognizing that the filtration particle size is going from 5 microns on the DE to 10'ish on the cartridge filter? Also, any recommendations on top brands would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

Derrick

I have an inground swimming pool that is roughly 10 years old. The pool is roughly 25,000 gallons and we have a 2HP pump and 60SF DE filter. The filter has begun leaking at the top of the tank and appears to have some cracks in the top and am ready to replace it. I have been reading about DE versus cartridge filters and am seriously considering using a 425SF cartridge filter instead of my DE filter. Is this an acceptable solution recognizing that the filtration particle size is going from 5 microns on the DE to 10'ish on the cartridge filter? Also, any recommendations on top brands would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

Derrick

I suppose you'll receive various answers to this question since most pool owners like the equipment they own. I'm no different and will recommend the Hayward SwimClear C4025 (or better yet, the C5025). I've read posts from DE filter owners that decry consideration of cartridge media, saying that they won't keep the pool clean, but I've never had issues with performance. If you use an automated cleaner, net the pool reasonably often and change the filter/pump baskets, you may find that the cartridges only need cleaning every 3 to 6 months. I clean mine once a year and even then, they don't appear very dirty. No pressure rise, either. I have no complaint about the clarity of the water but I haven't directly compared my pool to others that use a DE filter. In general, install right-size pumps (not too large) and oversize filters.

Thank you very much for the response. One question regarding the C4025 versus C5025... Their spec sheets show both with the same flow rates (150 GPM) and turnover rates. With the turnover rates, etc all the same between the two, would the larger square footage of the C5025 provide me even greater time between cleanings? That is a great advantage, but wasn't sure if I was missing anything else?

Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

-Derrick

Thanks!

Derrick

I suppose you'll receive various answers to this question since most pool owners like the equipment they own. I'm no different and will recommend the Hayward SwimClear C4025 (or better yet, the C5025). I've read posts from DE filter owners that decry consideration of cartridge media, saying that they won't keep the pool clean, but I've never had issues with performance. If you use an automated cleaner, net the pool reasonably often and change the filter/pump baskets, you may find that the cartridges only need cleaning every 3 to 6 months. I clean mine once a year and even then, they don't appear very dirty. No pressure rise, either. I have no complaint about the clarity of the water but I haven't directly compared my pool to others that use a DE filter. In general, install right-size pumps (not too large) and oversize filters.

Yes you will be able to go longer without cleaning the 5025 vs the 4025. The larger cartridge is typically designed for bigger pools that have bigger turnover rates. In your case it just means that your filter will be cleaner...

With that said. I have a cartridge filter. pentair swim clean I think? The microns. Here is the simple answer. Turn your light on at night and look down from your pool deck, when your pool is clean! See the small floating things in front of the light that are not visible under sun light... Those are almost completely filtered out with a DE filter and not as well filtered by a cartridge. I'm trying to convince my "wife" that we need to replace our perfectly good filter with a de, that's a tough sale. You can also reduce these "contaminents" with enzymes, but it's temorary, and they'll be back by the weeks end. If I had a DE, I'd stay with DE.

Also, keep in mind that the micron size you mention is with a perfectly clean filter. With all filters, as the filter begins to load up with small debris, the debris will become part of the filtration process & does collect smaller debris. The difference in filtration between cartridge & DE is generally not visible. Even with DE filter, you'll see the debris floating in front of the light at night. This is generally debris that has not passed thru the filter yet, or has recently gotten into the pool. Both are very good filters. Decision points are:

1. Filter area - The largest DE filter you could buy is 72 sq. ft., as opposed to 500 sq. ft. cartridge

2. Flow rate - Cartridge is 150gpm for the size you're considering, 120 for a DE60.

3. Maintenance - DE requires purchase of de and monthly (at least) backwashing. Cartridge you remove 2 or 3 times a year & spray off with your garden hose w/ pressure nozzle.

4. Quality of filtration - Generally not a noticeable difference.