Used Enzyme Cleaner, Tub Smells Like Rotting Vegetables

netgyks

Hello! This is my first post--we have a Softub and had it filled for a week, just water out of the hose (Lake Michigan water, highly chlorinated by the water dept). It was looking a little cloudy so I tried HTH Enzyme Cleaner last night. This morning we took the lid off and holy mother of compost piles, it REEKED! I don't have a pH testing kit and haven't used anything else. When I called the enzyme manufacturer's hotline, they said it reacted with something in the water and to drain and refill. Thoughts? Can this situation be saved?

And what's the easiest way to drain a tub using a hose? I really don't want all the water just dumping out under my deck and making my sump pumps run like mad.

Thanks!

Hello! This is my first post--we have a Softub and had it filled for a week, just water out of the hose (Lake Michigan water, highly chlorinated by the water dept). It was looking a little cloudy so I tried HTH Enzyme Cleaner last night. This morning we took the lid off and holy mother of compost piles, it REEKED! I don't have a pH testing kit and haven't used anything else. When I called the enzyme manufacturer's hotline, they said it reacted with something in the water and to drain and refill. Thoughts? Can this situation be saved?

And what's the easiest way to drain a tub using a hose? I really don't want all the water just dumping out under my deck and making my sump pumps run like mad.

***IMPORTANT - see my post below regarding "Softub" maintenance. It may require special chemicals per the manufacturer's instructions.***

Thanks!

I don't know the specific cause of your problem, but here are some suggestions/thoughts that might help:

1. I looked up HTH Enzyme Cleaner on their website. It gave no directions for use. Most enzyme based cleaners are used to clean your tub prior to draining it and then refilling it with new water. Typically, they are not intended to be added to the water that you plan on keeping in your tub. Look at the directions on the bottle. I'd be surprised if it doesn't say to drain the tub after adding the cleaner.

2. You appear to not be properly sanitizing your tub. You said you haven't used anything else in your tub. You also state that the water you use is "highly chlorinated". I assume this is the water that is provided by your water district for home use, i.e., drinking, bathing etc. The chlorine in the water you use in your home is NOT sufficient to sanitize a hot tub. Because of the high temperatures and exposure to contaminates (like human bodies) you MUST add a sanitizer to your tub to kill algae, bacteria, viruses, etc.. If you don't do this, you will continue to have problems and the water might even make you sick.

3. You probably should decontaminate your tub and then start over from the beginning using a standard sanitizing method. Her is a a link to the decontamination procedure: The Link. Here is a link to one method of using chlorine as a sanitizer: Diclor-then-bleach. There are various ways to sanitize your tub. If you want to safely use your tub you MUST sanitize it.

4. As far as draining your tub with a hose ... Water has to flow down hill, unless you buy a pump to get the water out of your tub. Typically, people drain their tubs into areas that aren't sensitive to the tub chemicals and salts. It's best to drain it into your home's sewer system, if possible. Do NOT drain into the storm drain sewers. Typically these flow into streams/rivers. I use a pump which pumps the water into my home sewer system.

Good luck,

- Simon

Edited by simonc

3. You probably should decontaminate your tub and then start over from the beginning using a standard sanitizing method. Her is a a link to the decontamination procedure: The Link. Here is a link to one method of using chlorine as a sanitizer: Diclor-then-bleach. There are various ways to sanitize your tub. If you want to safely use your tub you MUST sanitize it.

Good luck,

- Simon

IMPORTANT!!! ... In re-reading your post, I noticed that you have a "Softub". I'm not familiar with this type of tub but it may require SPECIAL chemicals to maintain the water. I suggest that you do NOT try decontaminating the tub until you first talk to the manufacturer and follow their recommendations. Doing otherwise could ruin your tub and void your warranty. The standard decontamination procedure is intended for plaster (in ground) and fiberglass (typically above ground) tubs. I have no idea what is the correct procedure for your tub. The manufacturer should be able to tell you. Also, the diclor-then-bleach method of sanitation may not be appropriate for tub. Using bleach may void the tubs warranty. Again, talk to the manufacturer.

I did find this link to the Softub maintenance manual: manual . In the this manual, it tells you how to sanitize your tub per manufacturer's directions.

I'm sorry that I can't be of more help ...

- Simon