Water Is Cloudy...can It Be Saved Or Is A Refill Needed

cpuKEN

Well, after several months, I got distracted for a few days and failed to add my daily 4-8 oz of Bleach and now my water is cloudy for the first time. I went a couple days without checking or adding chemicals (bleach). It had been pretty predictable requiring 4-8 oz of bleach each day. When we went to soak last night (after not soaking for about 4 days) we noticed the water was cloudy. After the soak I added 16 oz of bleach and the next morning I tested and the free chlorine level was 6.0 but the water was still cloudy.

Once the water becomes cloudy is there any way to rescue it or will it require a dump and refill.

I did add 6 oz of Natural Clear this morning and 6 oz of non-chlorine shock... yes, I'm reaching.

thanks

Ken

Just shock the water with higher levels of chlorine -- get it up to at least 15 ppm FC and hold it there. The water should clear up in a day or two if you caught it early (a little longer if it got fairly cloudy). At first, you may need to check the FC every 30 minutes to an hour as it could get used up quickly and then its rate of decline should slow down as the water gets more clear. The key is keeping the FC level up until it clears and the rate of FC drop returns to normal.

Thanks ChemGeek...

I typically add 4-6 oz of Bleach each day (depending on usage or non-usage). For 3 days in a row I added about 18-20 oz and now the water is clear again. I've learned my lesson and will stay on top of things and not go 2-3 days without checking/adding bleach.

The wife purchased some chlorine tablets at a local Lowes and a floating dispenser and I had her return this item. I don't see such being used or recommended here so I assume there is a reason for this.

Thanks again.

Ken

Chlorine tablets are usually "trichlor" which dissolve relatively slowly at pool temperatures, but too fast to be usable at spa temperatures. They also add CYA and are acidic. The only kind of tablets that would be useful in a spa would be bromine, but that assumes you are converting to bromine.

--paulr

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks ChemGeek...

I typically add 4-6 oz of Bleach each day (depending on usage or non-usage). For 3 days in a row I added about 18-20 oz and now the water is clear again. I've learned my lesson and will stay on top of things and not go 2-3 days without checking/adding bleach.

The wife purchased some chlorine tablets at a local Lowes and a floating dispenser and I had her return this item. I don't see such being used or recommended here so I assume there is a reason for this.

Thanks again.

Ken

I have had the same thing happen to me twice. I either forget to pop the lid and add some bleach or go away on business and have come back to cloudy water. I do not want to be performing maintenance every day so I have adopted a happy medium. When I think I won't be using the tub for a few days, or if I go away on a trip I place in the floater with a tablet or two. I will top up first with a hefty dose of bleach and the floater is open only slightly. When I am back in town I remove the floater and go back to bleach. It's better then the water going south and having to dump or shock it. So far the water lasts around 3 months this way and I just enjoy the tub and not worry I forgot to check the water for a day or two.

I am not sure if by having bleach already in the water makes the demand lower, and the tablet dissolves more slowly. When I remove the floater i tip it upside down and place it under the deck for the next time. I've had one tablet last for a few uses this way.

The last time it went cloudy, and only just slightly, I put in some bleach then MPS and the next day it was fine. I of course gave the filter a good cleaning beforehand.

CH=160, TA=80, pH=7.5. I have not had to adjust the water much and only find the pH drifts down and I add some BORAX and baking soda.

Greg