Testing Ozone Generator

msdeer

Hi

You are correct the Generator is likely bad. The Del CDS-16DR is a Corona discharge unit with a chip that generally needs replaced every year or so.

As for which generator to replace it with... man there will be some debate over this one...

My preference is the Plasma cell UV generator from Balboa for the following reasons.

Traditional UV... these are lower output units but the problem is they suffer ignition splatter which means every time the bulb is ignited it splatters a deposit on the inside of the bulb this coating builds and reduces the amount of Ozone produced, over a couple years the ozone production rolls off considerably and even if the bulb still ignites the unit typically needs replacement every two years or so.

CD, Corona Discharge is often heralded as a better Ozone unit but there are several drawbacks. although it is true that it produces a higher amount of ozone when new, unless you have a good absorption system with an off gas destruct all you really gain is a lot of off gas that eats your cover and pillows. Aside from this the ozone production is very dependent on the humidity of the air, in humid environments the unit not only produces less ozone but also produces nitric acid which again reduces the amount of ozone production. the roll off on CD units is usually considerably higher than UV so while a new CD unit produces more ozone than a new UV ozonator after a year the UV meets or exceeds production and CD uses more power... Plus most CD units have a circuit that stops the chip working after a year and you are supposed to replace the chip yearly.

Plasma UV. really just a UV ozonator but it uses a plasma ignition system that does not create splatter coating on the inside of the bulb, although the technology experienced some teething issues it seems to be working well now. It is cheap to buy, cheap to run, and the ozone production lasts 3-5 years with minimal production roll off... they are around $149.00 plus shipping...

Hi

You are correct the Generator is likely bad. The Del CDS-16DR is a Corona discharge unit with a chip that generally needs replaced every year or so.

As for which generator to replace it with... man there will be some debate over this one...

My preference is the Plasma cell UV generator from Balboa for the following reasons.

Traditional UV... these are lower output units but the problem is they suffer ignition splatter which means every time the bulb is ignited it splatters a deposit on the inside of the bulb this coating builds and reduces the amount of Ozone produced, over a couple years the ozone production rolls off considerably and even if the bulb still ignites the unit typically needs replacement every two years or so.

CD, Corona Discharge is often heralded as a better Ozone unit but there are several drawbacks. although it is true that it produces a higher amount of ozone when new, unless you have a good absorption system with an off gas destruct all you really gain is a lot of off gas that eats your cover and pillows. Aside from this the ozone production is very dependent on the humidity of the air, in humid environments the unit not only produces less ozone but also produces nitric acid which again reduces the amount of ozone production. the roll off on CD units is usually considerably higher than UV so while a new CD unit produces more ozone than a new UV ozonator after a year the UV meets or exceeds production and CD uses more power... Plus most CD units have a circuit that stops the chip working after a year and you are supposed to replace the chip yearly.

Plasma UV. really just a UV ozonator but it uses a plasma ignition system that does not create splatter coating on the inside of the bulb, although the technology experienced some teething issues it seems to be working well now. It is cheap to buy, cheap to run, and the ozone production lasts 3-5 years with minimal production roll off... they are around $149.00 plus shipping...

Hello, Jen here with DEL Ozone. Just wanted to share with you a few bits of info relating to your string, if I may. The biggest question has been: "how do I know if my ozonator's working?" Spa techs tell me, "if the light's on, I see bubbles, and I smell ozone, then it's working." Not true...even if the ozone generator is still producing enough ozone to clean spa water, sometimes the check valve disintigrated or the injector is clogged. Sometimes, there is no injector or one that doesn't get ozone INTO the water. In that case, the off-gas will attack the covers and pillows.

Here's a great video showing spa techs how to use Ozone Test Kits for portable spas which came out last summer ('09). www.youtube.com/delozone In this video, you will see: a chip unit light up, a high-output MCD-50 light up, plus how to inspect the check valve and injector. Lastly, you will see what PROPER ozone bubbles should look like in the spa. You don't want to smell ozone - that means it's not in the water killing and clarifying.

Chip units, per some of my spa dealers, work best when they turn on and off, on and off - unlike UV. The chip units don't wear out when turned on and off. In fact, they will typically last more like 3 years in this scenario.

The MCD-50 provides the perfect amount of ozone for most spas (use Mazzei injector when possible), plus has an indicator light, a Renewal Kit, and better yet...I've tested the in field 5 years (even 7) and they are still cranking! Great technology, excellent chemical reduction.

Take care,

Jennifer Engelmeier

DEL Ozone