pool heat

Guest Kevin

My name is Kevin and we live in the Northeast. We are putting a inground pool in and are wondering what the best way to heat the pool. The installer we picked is pushing towards a heat pump which is twice the money but should run 50% less in the long run. Heat pump $3995 I asked our HVAC guy and he was not to keen on the heat pump due to that we would only get a 10 degree heat rise from the temp. outside. He said for faster heat we would be much better off with gas heat.

• 1 month later...

My name is Kevin and we live in the Northeast. We are putting a inground pool in and are wondering what the best way to heat the pool. The installer we picked is pushing towards a heat pump which is twice the money but should run 50% less in the long run. Heat pump $3995 I asked our HVAC guy and he was not to keen on the heat pump due to that we would only get a 10 degree heat rise from the temp. outside. He said for faster heat we would be much better off with gas heat.

your hvac guy is on the right track. if you want to heat the pool on demand, ie: not all the time. Then go with Oil for the fastest heating, about 2 degrees an hour. induced draft high efficiency condensating gas heaters will come close to oil for heat rise/hour. Regular gas heaters will give 1-1.25 degrees/hour.

If you plan on keeping it warm all the time, then the heat pump might be the way to go. Personally, I think heat pumps should be reserved for milder climates or indoor pools.

I am a bit prejudiced, I live on Long Island NY and we pay the highest electric rates in the universe.