Shocking Effect On Bromine

Jbuck

Still trying to get this whole hot tub water chemistery figured out. Got my water adjusted to 7.4 PH, applied "SpaGard" oxidizer "Enhanced Shock" to the water as directed on the container. My bromine went off the chart showing a level > 20 PPM, so my question is, will the bromine level come down on it's own or do I need to drain some water off and refill? The instructions indicate I should shock at least once a week will this happen each time? The bromine tabs I am using are "Leisure Time" brand and the shock is "SpaGuard" brand any chance the brands are not compatable? Sorry for so many questions but can't seem to find this subject already addressed elsewhere.

The bromine will slowly drop over time, though it could take a while if the tub is clean. And yes, every time you shock, the bromine level will go way up by the amount you shocked. You might not need to shock with as much as you have been doing, especially if you find it takes a while for the bromine level to drop down. Remember that bromine units are around 2.25 times higher than chlorine, so 22.5 ppm bromine is like 10 ppm chlorine.