Do You Have To Use A Fiberglass Pool Vacuum Head On Fiberglass Pools?

Gavin

or can you use a regular gunite vacuum head? and whats the difference?

Thanks

A vinyl brush/vac has always been my preference. A gunite vac is OK but twice the work.

Thanks. I figured the vinyl might work better. I notice the gunite vac doesn't have much suction on fiberglass and the wheels might be bad for the fiberglass surface. also this fiberglass pool is chalking (not painted) just white powder coming off every time its brushed. maybe it needs a vinyl brush vac to keep it clean.

Thanks

A vinyl brush/vac has always been my preference. A gunite vac is OK but twice the work.

Thanks. I figured the vinyl might work better. I notice the gunite vac doesn't have much suction on fiberglass and the wheels might be bad for the fiberglass surface. also this fiberglass pool is chalking (not painted) just white powder coming off every time its brushed. maybe it needs a vinyl brush vac to keep it clean.

How old is the pool?? Better yet, has the pool been resurfaced at some time & what product was used. What part of the country are you in??

Thanks

How old is the pool?? Better yet, has the pool been resurfaced at some time & what product was used. What part of the country are you in??

the pool is several years old. not sure how old. It's 5,400 gallon fiberglass pool. it wasn't resurfaced but I think it needs to be or buffed. I don't think a gel coat was applied. but basically the pH was kept low for a long time and caused the chalking. I was able to get the pH up and the TA is at 160 but then the CYA is very high like 150. I've since diluted and lowered CYA and going to retest CYA again on Monday.

I'm in the tropics.

Hi Gavin, I would recommend a product called New Glass 2 to get rid of the chalkling. Its a clear coat that is applied to the entire surface of the pool in a consistent layer that seals the "chalking" and makes the pool shine like brand new. It will not chalk anymore as long as it is applied the right way (Pressure wash the existing chalk off, Clean, Prep and apply 5 times). It normally takes (2) guys and (2) days, but can be done in one depending on the size of the pool. I have a few pics of pools that have had this done if you're interested.

After that, I agree that gunite vac heads don't seem to have much suction on the fiberglass pool, and can scratch the bottom if you have a gel-coated surface or grani-coat. And I especially wouldnt use it after the New Glass is Applied. To order, or for more info contact us 1-800-596-6224.

Hi Gavin, I would recommend a product called New Glass 2 to get rid of the chalkling. Its a clear coat that is applied to the entire surface of the pool in a consistent layer that seals the "chalking" and makes the pool shine like brand new. It will not chalk anymore as long as it is applied the right way (Pressure wash the existing chalk off, Clean, Prep and apply 5 times). It normally takes (2) guys and (2) days, but can be done in one depending on the size of the pool. I have a few pics of pools that have had this done if you're interested.

After that, I agree that gunite vac heads don't seem to have much suction on the fiberglass pool, and can scratch the bottom if you have a gel-coated surface or grani-coat. And I especially wouldnt use it after the New Glass is Applied. To order, or for more info contact us 1-800-596-6224.

Thanks for the info. Yes that sounds like the way to go. B)