Good Test Kit In Ontario Canada?

Marmaduke

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good test kit available in Ontario Canada for a Bromine tub?

I know Taylor kits are the best, but they are hard to find here (Peterborough) and are expensive as compared to purchasing in the US.

Of course, want to measure PH, TA, CA and Free or Total Bromine.

Thanks

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good test kit available in Ontario Canada for a Bromine tub?

I know Taylor kits are the best, but they are hard to find here (Peterborough) and are expensive as compared to purchasing in the US.

Thanks

I just got mine last week...Taylor K2106 as recommended here on the forum for bromine hot tubs (I have an Arctic Summit since end of November, bromine and don't know what I'm doing either :) The only place I could find it was from the Canadian distributor in Newmarket. I paid $176. including UPS delivery charge (I live in Mississauga). The company is Lowry & Associates. I checked all the pool companies in Oakville, Burlington, Mississauga, Etobicoke and couldn't find this kit anywhere else.

Good LUCK!!!

Thanks

I just got mine last week...Taylor K2106 as recommended here on the forum for bromine hot tubs (I have an Arctic Summit since end of November, bromine and don't know what I'm doing either :) The only place I could find it was from the Canadian distributor in Newmarket. I paid $176. including UPS delivery charge (I live in Mississauga). The company is Lowry & Associates. I checked all the pool companies in Oakville, Burlington, Mississauga, Etobicoke and couldn't find this kit anywhere else.

Good LUCK!!!

The markup is crazy. $176 cdn is allot. When I travel to the US on business I bought a Leslie pool kit that is almost the equivalent for $40. See if there is a Leslie pool store over the border from where you are.. or just keep it in mind when you travel..

Found the thread on this>

http://www.poolspaforum.com/forum/index.ph...p;hl=ottawagreg

Greg

Thanks

I don't know if this helps or not but check this company out: http://piscines-apollo.com/cubecart/. The Taylor K2106 is on special for $127. They are in Quebec and carry Taylor stuff. Prices, though inflated for us Canadians , seem to be a bit cheaper.

Thanks

I don't know if this helps or not but check this company out: http://piscines-apollo.com/cubecart/. The Taylor K2106 is on special for $127. They are in Quebec and carry Taylor stuff. Prices, though inflated for us Canadians , seem to be a bit cheaper.

Ya they are $20. cheaper...the base price at Lowry is $146. The difference may very well be made up in shipping costs from La Belle Province.

Also, they won't ship in below zero temps., as they don't want the chemicals to freeze, so they hold the order waiting for a mild spell....

I picked up the Taylor K-1004 from a local spa store for $30 Canadian. It measures pH, TA, FC, TC, Br & acid demand. I picked up a set of test strips for $10 to check that my water hardenss just to maek sure it was in check.

Here's the kit I'm talking about. http://www.taylortechnologies.com/products....asp?KitID=2453

It doesn't use titrants like the K-2106 kit does but for $140 savings I don't mind holding the tester up to the light so I can compare the colours.

I'm not sure if they'll ship, but the company is Boldt Pools & Spas in St. Catharines, ON if you want to give them a call.

Test strips only test Total Hardness (TH) and none are able to test Calcium Hardness (CH). TH measures the sum of magnesium and calcium, but it is only calcium that is of concern for scaling. So you really have no idea whether your water is at risk for scaling, though you can roughly estimate assuming some magnesium/calcium ratio typical of fill water, but that really depends on the water source. Of course, any added calcium chloride results only in an increase in CH so you can at least know that amount, assuming you keep track of what you add. If your water is low in hardness, then just using a simple formula such as CH is approximately equal to TH/1.4 or 0.7*TH, but again, this is very dependent on the water source.

• 1 month later...

Others on this forum report that you can get the Taylor kit here shipped to Canada. They don't seem to carry the K-2106 though you can contact them about that. You can technically use the K-2006 that is normally used for chlorine, but need to combine the FC and CC (which you can just do in one step by adding the R-0003 to the sample after adding the DPD powder and then titrate using FAS-DPD) and the result needs to be multiplied by 2.25. So using a 25 ml sample, each drop is 0.45 ppm while using a 10 ml sample each drop is 1.125 ppm.

Others on this forum report that you can get the Taylor kit here shipped to Canada. They don't seem to carry the K-2106 though you can contact them about that. You can technically use the K-2006 that is normally used for chlorine, but need to combine the FC and CC (which you can just do in one step by adding the R-0003 to the sample after adding the DPD powder and then titrate using FAS-DPD) and the result needs to be multiplied by 2.25. So using a 25 ml sample, each drop is 0.45 ppm while using a 10 ml sample each drop is 1.125 ppm.

Interesting. I also tried recsupply and they said they were not allowed to ship Taylors to Canada. They are allowed to ship Lamotte products though.

What is R-0003? I've never used one of these tests kits yet.

Ok cool, I just ordered K-2106 from Amato. Shipping to Canada is $35 but it still comes out significantly less than buying it here. The woman said they have discontinued shipping to Canada for a while due to issues over website ordering and inability to correctly determine shipping cost but she did it as a favour to me.

R-0003 is where you add 5 drops in order to test for Combined Chlorine (CC). It only applies to chlorine tests, but for bromine what you want is the Total Bromine so that's why you would add those drops since you want the sum of Free and Combined Bromine. Combined Bromine (monobromamine) is still a reasonably effective sanitizer so is why they don't bother distinguishing between Free and Combined.