Questions On Shocking And Chlorine

Fatlip

Hello,

Here is the deal, im tired of draining the water to half level from using dichlor and the CYA going to 100 in a month or so. Im switching to dichlor to bleach method.

Here are my numbers.

FC 2.5

PH 7.7

TA 80

CH 150

CYA 60

BORATES 50

TEMP 103

Hotsprings Jetsetter spa

250 gal, ozone, nature 2

I know the cya is high, not 20-30, but want to live with this till spring, when refill is due, spa new and started mid November. Half refill twice. Clean filters every 3 weeks ( TRI-X)

I just took the FC TO 10 with 6% reg Clorox, to check the chlorine demand, tomorrow will track demand.

My question is do I shock with Clorox once a week like I did with Spa Guard, spa shock-oxidizer and if so, do I shock to 10 with Clorox or what. Is it ok to still shock with Spa Guard or will it mess up my numbers? Ive read alot in here and im not sure as what to to do on shocking or if its needed anymore now that I started to use bleach.

I do use the pool calculator and numbers look good.

Any info would be great,

Thanks,

Rick

Rick,

You probably won't need to shock once a week, assuming you use enough bleach after each soak for your bather load. If you consistently measure a decent residual (1 ppm FC or more) before your next soak, then you are doing fine. The higher CYA will slow down chlorine oxidation of your bather waste, but it still probably will be fast enough to clear the water in 24 hours. If you had continued to use Dichlor-only such that the CYA got well over 100 ppm, then that's when people start to find their water getting more dull and needing to shock until eventually they need to change the water.

Don't forget that you'll probably need to let your TA drop and that until it gets lowered by adding acid to also lower the pH, your pH will tend to rise. You should also consider using 50 ppm Borates, especially if you find that your pH is only stable when the TA is 60 ppm or below (perhaps 40-50).

Richard