Borates + Hot Tub = Cottage Cheese Consistency?

pkillur

Can anyone tell me if the local hot tub guy is a crackpot? He told me never to put Borates (Gentlespa / Borax) into the spa because it creates a white-ish cottage cheese consistency goo on the bottom of the tub. As well, I told him to go to poolcalculator.com where it said to add it, and he said he'd never heard of it, and didn't know whether or not to trust it (although I did hear him calling his co-worker marveling about it as I left...)

He also said drop tests were only necessary if you have major problems. I really like him the person, but don't know if I like him the hot tub guy at this point. So on to my question - is it possible to create "goo" from adding borates??

Can anyone tell me if the local hot tub guy is a crackpot? He told me never to put Borates (Gentlespa / Borax) into the spa because it creates a white-ish cottage cheese consistency goo on the bottom of the tub. As well, I told him to go to poolcalculator.com where it said to add it, and he said he'd never heard of it, and didn't know whether or not to trust it (although I did hear him calling his co-worker marveling about it as I left...)

He also said drop tests were only necessary if you have major problems. I really like him the person, but don't know if I like him the hot tub guy at this point. So on to my question - is it possible to create "goo" from adding borates??

#1. Drop test kits prevent major problems. On that point alone I would disagree with him and question his experience.

I've used borax in my tub (small amounts) and it softens the water. Safe to use period. Goo on the bottom of the tub? hmm.. if anything goo would float. I think you need to find someone more level and informed to talk to.

Just my opinion...

Greg

Borates work for many people with good results.

Most likely, the person added Borax and some other chemical without giving enough time between additions. If they added Calcium chloride and then Borax, then they could cause a precipitate of white material.

Calcium should not be added within 12 hours of any pH or alkalinity raising product.

So, the answer is yes, Borax can cause a white precipitate if it is not done properly. If it is done properly, then there will not be any problem.

Boric acid works better than Borax for adding borates because most of the Borax will become boric acid anyway. http://www.aaa-chemicals.com/2potegrboac.html

Good, clean, clear water requires good chemistry information. Test strips are not accurate enough to give you the information you need to consistently and reliably maintain your water.

And, yes, you can trust the pool calculator.

A crackpot, no. Misinformed, perhaps. He might be thinking of Borates added by using Borax which would raise the pH if not compensated by adding acid and the raised pH could cause scaling which is white precipitate. However, as noted above, if you use boric acid as found in ProTeam Gentle Spa or purchased directly, then this is close to pH neutral (boric acid is slightly acidic) and would be very safe to add. It's a salt and does not precipitate or combine with other normal chemical levels at anywhere near the 50 ppm level that is recommended.