Arctic Summit Bromine Levels

tonsoffun

Hey Guys,

Got a quick question on Bromine. I have my CP level on 6, when testing my water it does not show any bromine at all. Of course, after I add my refresh and I check it 1/2 hour after it shows low levels.

Should the bromine level always be visable if I don't add refresh?

I ask a Arctic Rep about this and will get back to me, but would like all you pro's opinion.

Hey Guys,

Got a quick question on Bromine. I have my CP level on 6, when testing my water it does not show any bromine at all. Of course, after I add my refresh and I check it 1/2 hour after it shows low levels.

I ask a Arctic Rep about this and will get back to me, but would like all you pro's opinion.

I am a new Arctic Summit owner and was having the same problem. The test strip showed negligible amounts of bromine, but when I take in my water sample to the dealer they say its ok. I am finding the test strips too subjective and not very accurate, so I have just ordered a Taylor K-2106 kit.

Back to the bromine issue, the levels always measured very low unless we added powdered bromine, as opposed to just replacing the pucks...

The Onzen can use sodium chloride to make chlorine or sodium bromide to make bromine. The sodium chloride seems to work better than the sodium bromide.

I think that if the sodium chloride does work better than the sodium bromide, then one of the reasons may be that the molarity of the sodium chloride is 1.76 times as great as the molarity of the sodium bromide.

I think that this may be an oversight by the manufacturer. They are using the same concentration in parts per million, but that means that there are only about 57 % of the total number of bromide ions in the water.

My recommendation for those who want to use bromine is to add 2,000 ppm to 2,500 ppm sodium chloride and 30 to 50 ppm sodium bromide. The unit will make chlorine and the chlorine will convert the bromide into bromine.

You can also use regular, unscented Clorox bleach or liquid chlorine to shock and achieve quick levels of bromine as needed.

Also, make sure to keep in touch with the dealer and get them to come up with a solution for you so that you maintain your warranty.

P.S: Please get a good test kit. It really does matter.

[Edit] Actually, the manual refers to both types of salt as a "blend". Since they are not specific, I'm thinking that the sodium bromide might be mostly sodium chloride and about 2 to 5 % sodium bromide. I'm not sure why the sodium chloride would be a blend vs. just pure sodium chloride. [End edit]

Hi tonsoffun,

I'm a new Arctic owner like you and far from an expert but I'm starting to get the hang of it after a couple months now. My bromine readings are usually quite low, but as long as they're not 0 I don't seem to be having any issues.

The Onzen system doesn't seem to produce scads of bromine so using the "Refresh" shock is required on a weekly basis... sometimes more than the 1 capful.

I keep my CP at 4 or 5 with use of about 3 times per week to maintain traces of bromine.

Are you using the Aquafinesse my dealer was reccomending?

Hi tonsoffun,

I'm a new Arctic owner like you and far from an expert but I'm starting to get the hang of it after a couple months now. My bromine readings are usually quite low, but as long as they're not 0 I don't seem to be having any issues.

The Onzen system doesn't seem to produce scads of bromine so using the "Refresh" shock is required on a weekly basis... sometimes more than the 1 capful.

I keep my CP at 4 or 5 with use of about 3 times per week to maintain traces of bromine.

Are you using the Aquafinesse my dealer was reccomending?

No, my dealer did not recommend Aquafinesse. I had my water tested yesterday and everything looked good except the bromine. Dealer asked what my CP setting was, I said it was at CP6.

I knew exactly what was coming next! Call the service dept, your Onzen system needs to be change to Version 7. I knew that was coming.

I checked the bromine before leaving to the dealer and there was nothing. Also tested the Onzen and found no smoke/bubbles coming up in the water.

We will see tomorrow when they will come and change this. I really did not want to do this in the winter! Oh well, it needs to be done.

Our friends had the version 7 installed and said the version 7 is like a volcano! Thats what I like to hear. Version 7 is actually there first Onzen system they made but it changed along the road for some reason.

I will keep you posted.

Take care

Looks like you're not alone with the Onzen issue. I guess I've been lucky so far.

Does anyone know how you tell which Onzen version you have?

Take off the panel by the pumps and the ozen generator version 6 is white or light grey with just a wire coming out of the back. Version 7 has a cable plus there is a water port in the back where water is pumped through the sensor when pump 1 is running.

The change will take about two hours to do after the water is out. I do not run Bromine but my CP was 6 and the FC was about 2. Now on Version 7 my CP is 2 and FC is 4-5 ppm. Bather load is two people are in the tub 1/2 hr per day.

• 2 months later...

Ok this might sound stupid because I am a Arctic Spa user. What does FC stand for and what should it be at?

Looks like you're not alone with the Onzen issue. I guess I've been lucky so far.

Does anyone know how you tell which Onzen version you have?

Take off the panel by the pumps and the ozen generator version 6 is white or light grey with just a wire coming out of the back. Version 7 has a cable plus there is a water port in the back where water is pumped through the sensor when pump 1 is running.

The change will take about two hours to do after the water is out. I do not run Bromine but my CP was 6 and the FC was about 2. Now on Version 7 my CP is 2 and FC is 4-5 ppm. Bather load is two people are in the tub 1/2 hr per day.

Hey Guys,

I was having the same issue. I drained the spa and then put in 6 pounds of salt (they now recommend 3 for my Klondiker) and after a day I wasn't getting any reading. I put in refresh and it was fine. Contacted the service dept and a tech came out and discovered that half of the Onzen blades weren't producing anything. Replaced it with an updated Onzen and it works fine now.