Yellowish Plaque Around Ozonator

Zirgalmnod

Hi there

I have noticed some yellow/brown plaque building up around the nozzle where the ozon air bubbles come out. I noticed this after 3-4 weeks of use of a brand new tub, first fill. It sits in the bottom of the tub, an Artesian Dove Canyon with white acryl. I can rub it off with a soft spunge, but it sits fairly hard. Any one else who has the same experience? Any suggestions what could cause this?

/Zirgalmnod

Dead Bacteria? Really?

When we were shopping for our spa, one dealer had a nice spa on the floor with all kinds of yellow stuff around the outlet. It was pretty disgusting, especially for a display model. I've noticed now that my outlet is starting to show some yellow around the ozone outlet. I'll try attacking it with a brush, as it's inside the grill.

It's probably iron. The ozone makes it come out of solution.

Have the water tested for iron. You might want to get an iron filter to use when you fill the tub.

You could use a metal sequestrant, but I don't think that it would work too well.

Try some Vitamin C powder (ascorbic acid) to see if it will remove the stain.

I'm using Chicago water, there's little or no iron in it.

Even a "little" iron can cause staining. Have you had the tap water tested?

Dissolved iron will not usually cause any staining until it is oxidized and it combines with oxide or hydroxide.

Have you tried using some vitamin C powder on the stain to see if it cleans it? Vitamin C reduces the iron and puts it back into solution.

Have you tried using some vitamin C powder on the stain to see if it cleans it? Vitamin C reduces the iron and puts it back into solution.

My stains rub off quite easily with a soft spunge, that is not the problem. My dealer says that this is normal, but he could not explain why it happens. I kind of like the idea of ozon and that the tiny bubbles do good, but having to rub off stains every now and then makes me feel something is wrong.

/Ziggy

The vitamin C powder (Ascorbic acid) will help determine if the stains are iron. Crush up a vitamin C tablet and put the powder on the stain; if the stain disappears, then it is probably iron.

You can also have the tap water tested for iron.

If it is iron, the main problem will be the stains. If you don't mind wiping the stains off periodically, then it should not be a problem.

If you want to eliminate the problem, then you should use a water softener or iron filter to remove the iron when you fill the tub.