Where To Buy Boric Acid - Borates

Vince22

Hi all,

I couldn't find borax anywhere, so I went in search of boric acid instead. Turns out that pretty much every pharmacy carries it as analgesic and antiseptic (ask for it at the counter). Comes in a 125gm container in powder form. I had to buy 4 to get 50ppm in my 450gallon tub. At $5/container, it ended up costing $20.

Anyways, just a FYI in case someone out there is searching.

20 Mule Team Borax is found in the laundry aisle of most larger grocery stores, but that will raise the pH so if you are adding borates you would also need Muriatic Acid.

Boric Acid (which is more pH neutral) can be obtained in bulk from The Chemistry Store or from AAA Chemicals with the latter having less expensive shipping to the west coast. For spa use, however, the quantities are far less so you could just use ProTeam Gentle Spa.

20 Mule Team Borax is found in the laundry aisle of most larger grocery stores, but that will raise the pH so if you are adding borates you would also need Muriatic Acid.

Boric Acid (which is more pH neutral) can be obtained in bulk from The Chemistry Store or from AAA Chemicals with the latter having less expensive shipping to the west coast. For spa use, however, the quantities are far less so you could just use ProTeam Gentle Spa.

I just ordered mine from the Chemistry Store. I also buy laundry additives from there so i had a few things in my cart.

• 2 weeks later...
I found a 5lb pail of Boric Acid Powder (that is sold to control insects). Is this the right thing?

Gracee

No, see chem geek's post for where to get boric acid.

Actually, it might be pure boric acid, which would work, but I would rather not get something listed as pest control, just to be safe.

I found a 5lb pail of Boric Acid Powder (that is sold to control insects). Is this the right thing?

Gracee

No, see chem geek's post for where to get boric acid.

I did but I couldn't get any of the links to work for some reason.

Also, I wondered where I could get it in a store (other than the pharmacy, sounded like it costs too much for the quantity)?