Replace Intex Filter System

JackieAB

I have an above ground Intex 18x52 pool and I keep getting algae. I have spent way too much in chemicals (we live in Southern California and the heat is causing some of the algae problems). Considering replacement filter system. Any suggestions for size of pump, brand, etc? I found a Hayward 1.5 hp filter system, but sales rep says hoses may not be same size and would have to purchase adapters for connectors. Any other ideas aside from replacing filter system?

• 3 months later...
I have an above ground Intex 18x52 pool and I keep getting algae. I have spent way too much in chemicals (we live in Southern California and the heat is causing some of the algae problems). Considering replacement filter system. Any suggestions for size of pump, brand, etc? I found a Hayward 1.5 hp filter system, but sales rep says hoses may not be same size and would have to purchase adapters for connectors. Any other ideas aside from replacing filter system?

you will need to replace the entire filter system

What kind of filter system do you have now? Your filter tank may be sufficient but you have a weak pump thus not providing proper circulation and/or turnover rate. Size of pump depends on what kind of filter tank you have and how far your pump is from the pool. Feet of head is important in determining size of pump. If possible, stay away from Hayward pump. Through my experiences, they have been very unreliable. Whisper flos are the way to go.

• 1 month later...

Buy the next size up Intex pool pump / filter. Cheap on Ebay compared to other makes.