Need Help Fixing A Sloppy Cover Install

Phydeauxman

We finally received our cover from our pool builder (Blue Haven) and they paid the lowest bidder to install it. The cover is a Merlin Pool Guard Solid Safety Cover and I am not very happy with it. It is designed to rest on the water and it uses a gazillion rubber bungy cords to secure it to the pool deck. The installer chipped the concrete on every single hole they drilled and I am trying to find out if there is any sealer (similar to caulk) that I can put around the anchors that would fill in the chips.

As a separate question...is it possible to change covers and fill in all of the holes drilled for the cover above? I would consider trashing this cover next year and getting a nicer Merlin Mesh cover that is taught over the pool and uses the srping tensioners.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

The best solution would probably be to use a colored tile grout that matches your concrete color.

Cover the anchor with masking tape and then apply the grout. Wipe the grout smooth with a grout sponge.

The old anchors can be removed and the holes can be filled in. Colored grout would probably work best.

The new cover can then be installed.

Tip: It might be best to fill in the old holes after installing the new cover, just in case you can reuse any of the old holes.

Chipped holes are a common complaint. Chipping can be avoided, but it takes about twice as long to install the cover. I always take the extra time. I think that it is well worth it.

The best solution would probably be to use a colored tile grout that matches your concrete color.

Cover the anchor with masking tape and then apply the grout. Wipe the grout smooth with a grout sponge.

The old anchors can be removed and the holes can be filled in. Colored grout would probably work best.

The new cover can then be installed.

Tip: It might be best to fill in the old holes after installing the new cover, just in case you can reuse any of the old holes.

Chipped holes are a common complaint. Chipping can be avoided, but it takes about twice as long to install the cover. I always take the extra time. I think that it is well worth it.

Thanks for the advice. Do you think it is worth the effort in going after the pool builder or installer they hired for damages?

There are few issues to consider. The first is why the concrete chipped so much. It could have been that the concrete was defective and extra brittle. If that is the case, the contractor should have known that after drilling the first few holes. If they felt that they could not do an acceptable job due to defective concrete, they should have told you instead of continuing to drill and causing chips.

In some cases, a hammer drill is not a good tool to use. Another option is a diamond coring bit, which drills a very clean hole.

core15.jpg

http://www.mytoolstore.com/milwauke/corebit.html

http://www.contractorsdirect.com/Diamond-Core-Bits

What do you want the contractor to do for you to make you satisfied?

Do you want them to come out and try to patch the chips?

Or, do you want them to compensate you with money? How much?

The next step would be to write them a letter telling them exactly why you are dissatisfied and what you would like them to do to satisfy you. Include pictures of the damage.

My contractor (we had lots of problems, please don't get me started - ultimately, to his credit, he excavated the first pool and installed a second one) also chipped the concrete when installing the anchors for my cover. I specifically requested Anchor Defender Mesh but got the standard Anchor mesh cover. No worries, Anchor makes great covers. Anyway, I recall that Anchor sold what can best be described as, essentially, washers that would cover a 1/2" or 1" radius around the anchors (hence covering the chipped areas). I opted not to go this route, as I didn't have the time or energy to go through the trouble and was concerned that the "washers" would be more noticeable and more aesthetically objectionable than the chipping. But it's an option.

You can certainly try to patch the chips w/ concrete or sanded tile grout, but frankly, it simply won't last. Concrete chips, cracks and spalls. Even if you use a sanded epoxy-based grout it will eventually spall/pop off. It's the nature of concrete. Hence, I'd recommend just living w/ it, unless you're willing to pay for a decorative polymerized concrete overlay on your deck. It's an increasingly big market and it works pretty well, but - again - you will experience spalling over problem areas. Overlays can be a sensible option for decks w/ lots of problems, like saw cuts and widespread hairline cracks and staining - but not for minor chipping.

In your case, you didn't want a solid cover to begin with. Follow Q's advice and don't fill the old anchor holes until you've installed the new mesh cover. Then fill the holes with concrete - as Q suggests, if your concrete is colored then you might consider a sanded grout. You might also be able to get the same colorant from your concrete contractor. You'll learn to stop noticing the patched holes over time. A pool is meant to be a tranquil escape, not another thing to fret over. Just my advice.

/Winter hasn't even officially begun, and I'm already waiting for next season...

• 3 weeks later...