Chemcial Costs

hrustar

Just got the tub, going to start with chlorine. I may switch over to Nitros method, but want to start with this one before moving into a program that's more involved (imho). The company offers a years worth of chemicals for $400. Looking online, it seems that a years worth would only cost $250 or so.

WOndering, if this jives with what others pay/use.

For fresh fills I'll be using:

Metal: 16 oz. $6 per time fill.

Scale Defense: 2 oz. $3 per fill.

Mineral Purifier: One unit. $20 pr fill.

Chlorine Granules: 1 oz. $0.75 per fill.

Ph Down: 3 tbs at a time. $0.50 per fill.

For Weekly upkeep:

Shock: 2 ounces

Chlorine: 1 oz plus tsp per use.

Spa Brite: 2 oz weekly

Oil Gone: 1 oz weekly

IMHO, any method that uses all that stuff is more involved than the Dichlor/Bleach method. Half that stuff you don't need, and is a waste of money. If you use the Dichlor/Bleach method you'll spend less than $100/yr and it will be much less involved, because your water will have no problems.

Nitro, let me say, i wish i could just hire you to get me thorugh this. You are the genius.

But I am not, so I get confused. Which products are uneeded? Also, the reasons your method seems more involved is the daily testing. I'm not sure I'd be able to test everyday.

Also, what about things like metal/scale defense/oil etc. How does your system account for those products, or why do you think they are not needed? Seems to me metal is a must?

I use Nitro's bleach method. After getting the chemicals balanced after a drain and refill, I only test chemicals once a week even then, the readings rarely change.

We use the spa daily, I found that if I add 3 to 4 oz of bleach after each soak, it keeps things in balance.

Dave

Nitro, let me say, i wish i could just hire you to get me thorugh this. You are the genius.

Thanks, but Chem Geek is the genuis. I'm just the messenger.

But I am not, so I get confused. Which products are uneeded? Also, the reasons your method seems more involved is the daily testing. I'm not sure I'd be able to test everyday.

There is a learning curve to EVERY method. Don't think you'll make it any easier by buying a bunch a chemicals. Checking water everyday is only necessary in the beginning, until you learn the method. After you get the hang of it, you can back off to 2-3 times per week.

FYI, I wrote that article a year ago, when I was learning the method myself. The forum went down shortly before that, and we lost a lot of posts. I wanted to document everything we knew at the time, and save it. That's why it's long and detailed. The method itself is very simple.

Also, what about things like metal/scale defense/oil etc. How does your system account for those products, or why do you think they are not needed? Seems to me metal is a must?

Rule of thumb: don't put (buy) anything in your tub until (unless) you need it. The less you put into the tub the longer the water will last, and the less problems you'll have.