Balboa Control Showing Ec Then S3

ob1kubota

Spa was shut down over the summer, filled up worked good for 1/2 an hour then the next time I activated the the pump it sounded noisy, loud hum, tried powering down and up as well as replacing the starter. I read the power in and it seemed like there was 220v on each leg. Pulled the pump assemble and brought it in for service, They said that the power was normal and it needed a bearing and a seal 120.00 later on the repair, just reinstalled everything and the same thing happened again,. After priming mode it attempts to run the pump, very lout hum, no sighn of water circulation then it shuts down and tries until it shows an error code ec then S3 , My chart only shown 3 digit error codes. Any thoughts?

Spa was shut down over the summer, filled up worked good for 1/2 an hour then the next time I activated the the pump it sounded noisy, loud hum, tried powering down and up as well as replacing the starter. I read the power in and it seemed like there was 220v on each leg. Pulled the pump assemble and brought it in for service, They said that the power was normal and it needed a bearing and a seal 120.00 later on the repair, just reinstalled everything and the same thing happened again,. After priming mode it attempts to run the pump, very lout hum, no sighn of water circulation then it shuts down and tries until it shows an error code ec then S3 , My chart only shown 3 digit error codes. Any thoughts?

S3 is a sensor error but likely the result of another problem. You said you have 220V on each leg, that is not right. You should have 240V between both legs but only 120 between each leg and ground. Is the pump 240V or 120V? Note that the spa can be a 240V spa but the pump may only be 120V. If the pump is 240V and it's getting 120V it will make those noise you describe.

Also, if it's a 2 speed pump and for some reason power is being applied to both speeds at once you may get the same results.

S3 is a sensor error but likely the result of another problem. You said you have 220V on each leg, that is not right. You should have 240V between both legs but only 120 between each leg and ground. Is the pump 240V or 120V? Note that the spa can be a 240V spa but the pump may only be 120V. If the pump is 240V and it's getting 120V it will make those noise you describe.

Also, if it's a 2 speed pump and for some reason power is being applied to both speeds at once you may get the same results.

Yes it is a 2 speed 5 hp 220 pump