Brown Pool

Bones421

I have a new pool this year. it has blue zeobrite finish. it has been 6 months and cured. we started it up on Pristine Blue and water was just a little cloudy. when it cleared up the was brown all over the floor and the sides. not the tile or the grout. the grout is still white. I have tested the water and according to Pristine Blue everything is in check. Because PB likes lower ph, alk, and hardness, somebody said that the hardness is too low. wehave have put about 4 qt of metal remover in and does not touch it. but when we soak a sponge with it and set it on the floor, after 4 minutes it goes away and leaves a white film which you can brush away. I dont know what else I can do. my supplier doesn't know what to do and PB says they wont help. the zeobrite rep wont return my calls. anybody have any ideas?

Thanks All

Pristine Blue is mostly copper sulfate and the copper will stain if there is too much in the water or the pH gets too high. You can try using ascorbic acid to remove the stain, but would need metal sequestrant in the water to prevent it from restaining. You would have to keep adding metal sequestrant to replace it as it will break down from chlorine so the only long-term solution to remove metal ions from the water is water dilution. This is the main reason why one should generally avoid metal ion products and systems in pools that can stain easily, including plaster, fiberglass, and zeobrite (vinyl doesn't stain as readily and acrylic spas don't stain as readily either).

See this link for more info on dealing with metal stains, including the link that refers to using ascorbic acid. You should also read the Pool School to learn how to properly maintain your pool without side effects.

No, that is not true. With a low Calcium Hardness, pH, or Total Alkalinity (that is, with the water under-saturated with calcium carbonate), then plaster/gunite/grout surfaces can dissolve. Metal corrosion is mostly affected by pH. Besides, you shouldn't be having any rebar exposed to the water anyway. Now it is certainly possible that the low CH and TA and pH conditions for Pristine Blue could have dissolved some of your zeobrite and perhaps it dissolved enough to get down to the rebar, though that seems unlikely -- you should be able to tell that by seeing the stains in a pattern as opposed to being more randomly placed.

no that is not the problem. the finish is in good shape. the installer did acid wash it after he installed it. the water is in perfect condition and crystal clear. PB is .03 and has been since July. There is like a brown film that does not brush off, but you can see where the water flows and it is looking like streaks on the bottom.

we have used PB metal out and 2 qts of ProTeam Metal Magic. with no change. we soaked a sponge with the metal magic and you could see a differancewhen applied to the bottom of the pool. I am lost at what to try next.

Thanks for your help.

it has blue zeobrite finish

Do you mean Diamond Brite? Zeobrite is a type of filter media.

when it cleared up the was brown all over the floor and the sides.

Brown is usually iron, not copper. Can you have your fill water tested for iron and report back?

I recommend against using metals such as copper or silver in your pool.

I was also told that with the cal hardness being lower that it will try and pull the metals out of the rebar in the wall. could that be true.

The rebar should be in the middle of the structural grey concrete. The structural grey concrete is covered with a 3/8 inch layer of waterproof plaster. No water should be able to get anywhere near the rebar.

Can you have a full set of chemical tests done and report back. Saying that chemicals are "in check" does not provide enough information.

Also, can you provide a complete list of all chemicals added, and how and when?

What sanitizer do you use? Chlorine? Bromine? How is it added? Can you list all equipment that you have?

Do you have a heater, salt water chlorine generator, trichlor feeder?

Thanks, the pool has a diamond brite finish. I have not tested for iron. new house and new pool. i have tested for copper--Pristine Blue and it was 0.1. the stain has been getting better. i just poured 2 qts Jacks Magic The Blue Stuff in and We shall see what happens next week.

it has a auto cover, heater-chiller, no salt, no chlorine or bromine.

test results as of 10-19-09 are

ph 7.4

total alk 130

harndess 200

so i should get the water tested for irons

pool was cloudy when opened in may pool was finished in Nov of 08 and never opened, just filled with water.

the thing in no stains on the tile or the white grout lines.

Thanks for any help