Jacuzzi J-480 Chemicals

grunt66

We have owned our Jacuzzi J-480 for little over a week now and me and the wife are enjoying it. They gave us a chemical start up kit that consisted of: Spa Care Solutions (Chlorinating Granules Sanitizer, Shock Oxidizer, ph & Alkalinity Increase) Nature 2 spa cartridge, and Aquachek test strips. My wife was at home (I was at work) during the delivery of the spa. For the first couple of days we kept testing the water with the strips and everything was in the OK area ( monopersulfate, pH, and total Akalinity) and the water is clear and we added no chemicals. Then my wife contacted the dealer and he said to add the shock oxidizer (potassium peroxymonosulfate) into the spa since we were using it twice a day for about 30 minutes. After the shock was added (4 ounces) we entered the spa later that evening and the next day my wife had little red itchy bumps on her skin were her bathing suit was at. I also had little red bumps on my skin were my bathing trunks were at. The rest of my skin that was exposed during the soaking was clear. I had about 6 bumps but my wife had numerous bumps. We keep the temp on the spa at 101. I am thinking we had a reaction to shock oxidizer since there were no problems when we just added the chlorine. I spoke with a spa tech and he told me to just add chlorine after we use the spa.

I am considering buying the Taylor K-2006 chemical test kit. Is there a different type of shock that does not contain MDS that I should look at? Our spa has the ionic/ozone sanitation system. Does it sound right to just add chlorine after each use. Thanks in advance.

Hi grunt66,

I've had my Jacuzzi J470 for 1 week too. My start-up chemicals are the same as yours, and I'm using the Pro Clear mineral cartridge (Nature 2). The way my dealer explained it was to use Chlorine once a week to shock the tub (leave your cover open for 30 minutes when you shock). Use MPS for day to day use...after each use (about 1 tbsp is enough) I've been in the tub for a couple hours at a time and I add a tbsp after about an hour. I'm still learning this system too, so I'm not saying this is gospel, but it's what I've been told, and so far seems to be working ok for me. Good luck and let me know how you make out.

We have owned our Jacuzzi J-480 for little over a week now and me and the wife are enjoying it. They gave us a chemical start up kit that consisted of: Spa Care Solutions (Chlorinating Granules Sanitizer, Shock Oxidizer, ph & Alkalinity Increase) Nature 2 spa cartridge, and Aquachek test strips. My wife was at home (I was at work) during the delivery of the spa. For the first couple of days we kept testing the water with the strips and everything was in the OK area ( monopersulfate, pH, and total Akalinity) and the water is clear and we added no chemicals. Then my wife contacted the dealer and he said to add the shock oxidizer (potassium peroxymonosulfate) into the spa since we were using it twice a day for about 30 minutes. After the shock was added (4 ounces) we entered the spa later that evening and the next day my wife had little red itchy bumps on her skin were her bathing suit was at. I also had little red bumps on my skin were my bathing trunks were at. The rest of my skin that was exposed during the soaking was clear. I had about 6 bumps but my wife had numerous bumps. We keep the temp on the spa at 101. I am thinking we had a reaction to shock oxidizer since there were no problems when we just added the chlorine. I spoke with a spa tech and he told me to just add chlorine after we use the spa.

I am considering buying the Taylor K-2006 chemical test kit. Is there a different type of shock that does not contain MDS that I should look at? Our spa has the ionic/ozone sanitation system. Does it sound right to just add chlorine after each use. Thanks in advance.

Sounds like you need to get a handle on your sanitizer levels. Take a peek at nitro's approach to water maintenance.

You could have an MPS reaction, but as far as I know you have what sounds like Pseudomonas Folliculitis, aka hot tub rash. Typically it is most prominent on areas that are covered with the seam of a swimsuit, or many times by hair that is long and laying on your neck and shoulders.

Another cause could be a swimsuit that was contaminated, say left to sit in a bathroom to dry, but didnt get cleaned. Your tub could be clean, but your suit's could be dirty, causing the outbreak.

Also keep in mind it can take up to 4 days from exposure to manifest into sores on your skin. So you could have been working on this for a while.

Dont feel too bad, we learned all about this when a Doctor friend of mine had an infected tub....we all ended up with sores.....so even the most highly trained on general sanitation procedures can find hot tubs to be a bit daunting at first.

Hi grunt66,

I've had my Jacuzzi J470 for 1 week too. My start-up chemicals are the same as yours, and I'm using the Pro Clear mineral cartridge (Nature 2). The way my dealer explained it was to use Chlorine once a week to shock the tub (leave your cover open for 30 minutes when you shock). Use MPS for day to day use...after each use (about 1 tbsp is enough) I've been in the tub for a couple hours at a time and I add a tbsp after about an hour. I'm still learning this system too, so I'm not saying this is gospel, but it's what I've been told, and so far seems to be working ok for me. Good luck and let me know how you make out.

Thanks for the info Firemedic. I called my dealer and he told me to add the shock after we get out of the spa. I told the dealer that the shock container had weekly on the front and the chlorine container had daily on the front. He told me that chlorine should be used weekly and shock every time we use it. On the back of the shock container it states to use 4 ounces for 375+ gallons and since the J-480 holds 570 gallons I asked him if I should use the 4 ounces and he stated to use no more then 2 ounces.

I started to look for the chemicals (Spa Care Solutions) on line since the dealers is just over 50 miles away and it is not convenient for me to drive 100 miles round trip just to buy chemicals. I can not locate the Shock Oxidizer all I can find is Shock Treatment by Spa Care Solutions. I am wondering if they are both the same. Not much information when I google the company.

Hi grunt66,

Thanks for the info Firemedic. I called my dealer and he told me to add the shock after we get out of the spa. I told the dealer that the shock container had weekly on the front and the chlorine container had daily on the front. He told me that chlorine should be used weekly and shock every time we use it. On the back of the shock container it states to use 4 ounces for 375+ gallons and since the J-480 holds 570 gallons I asked him if I should use the 4 ounces and he stated to use no more then 2 ounces.

I started to look for the chemicals (Spa Care Solutions) on line since the dealers is just over 50 miles away and it is not convenient for me to drive 100 miles round trip just to buy chemicals. I can not locate the Shock Oxidizer all I can find is Shock Treatment by Spa Care Solutions. I am wondering if they are both the same. Not much information when I google the company.

Check out nitro's approach to water maintenance.

http://www.poolspaforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=13634

I think you are starting to travel down a dangerous path of inept chemical maintenance.

If you use your tub as much as you previously indicated, and sanitize only weekly, you will be woefully under-sanitized even at the .5ppm level that the Nature2 cartridge recommends.

Please educate yourself on water sanitation and you will be amazed at how easy and quick it is to care for your spa. Nitro has done all the hard work, take his advice, It made my life much, much easier.

Check out nitro's approach to water maintenance.

http://www.poolspaforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=13634

I think you are starting to travel down a dangerous path of inept chemical maintenance.

I agree with bart6453. As suggested, see Nitro's article on water maintenance. The article is a little long with a lot of detail, therefore when I first read it, I was intimidated and decided that Nitro's approach was not for me. Fortunately, other forum members encouraged me to give it a try.

Here are my suggestions (relative to Nitro's article):

1. Stop listening to "dealer advice". In my experience their main focus is on selling you as many chemicals and treatments as possible. Typically, I don't think they really understand water chemistry. You're better off getting your questions answered by people on this forum.

2. Get yourself a good test kit. The problem with the strips is that you will never know what's actually going on with your water. The strips are great for a quick check (maybe before you use the tub) to make sure that chlorine/pH is not too high or low. It's hard to get a handle on the other aspects of water chemistry with the strips. I got the Taylor K-2006. It comes with a 70+ page booklet ... also intimidating. Read it later. For starters, just read pages 8-9 on PROPER TESTING PROCEDURES, then just follow the directions on lid of the box. Each test is color coded and the test chemicals have matching colors. Just follow the simple directions for each test. The 70+ page booklet has a lot of good information but it takes awhile to absorb/understand all the information about water chemistry.

3. Read Nitro's article. Most of what you really need to do is in the SUMMARY section.

Because hot tubs are hot (running at temps >100) things can change quickly ... especially sanitizer level, e.g., free chlorine (FC). Bather load may also be a significant variable in your tub.

Good luck,

- Simon

Thanks for all the reply's. I received my Taylor K2006 test kit. Here are my initial results:

FC: 5.6

CC: .2

TA: 70 ppm

CH: 200 ppm

PH: 7.6

CYA: 42 ppm

It looks as though I have to use 1/2 ounce of Chlorine daily to keep the Chlorine level at 3ppm. The water is clear but after we turn the jets off the water looks cloudy and eventually becomes clear. We are also seeing a white line on the inner shell at the water level.

Thanks for all the reply's. I received my Taylor K2006 test kit. Here are my initial results:

FC: 5.6

CC: .2

TA: 70 ppm

CH: 200 ppm

PH: 7.6

CYA: 42 ppm

It looks as though I have to use 1/2 ounce of Chlorine daily to keep the Chlorine level at 3ppm. The water is clear but after we turn the jets off the water looks cloudy and eventually becomes clear. We are also seeing a white line on the inner shell at the water level.

Glad you are getting things rolling with a good kit.

What type of chlorine are you using??? Bleach or Dichlor?

If you are using Dichlor, your CYA will continue to rise, which is undesirable. You may want to stop where you are at with stabilized chlorine(dichlor) and switch to an unstabilized chlorie (bleach, lithium).

Other than that your TA may be a bit high if you ask me, look at lowering it 10-20ppm and your PH will more readily stabilize at 7.5.

Also I would consider adding borates if you have not already done so, it makes the water feel nice and further stabilizes your PH drift.

I can't help you with the white line, I don't know what that could be, but someone on here will have some advice on that one.