Just Wondering About My Chlorine Demand.

bart6453

So I have a Jacuzzi J-325 that gets used by the wife and I about 4 times a week.

My water is about 8 weeks old.

TA=50

CH=130

PH=7.4 Stable, drifting slightly low but controlled.

FC=5.0-1.0

CC=.5-.75 Stable, rarely shock, when I do I use MPS

CD=40-80% ????

Borates=50ppm

So here is my routine, every other day I check the spa and add bleach, typically I need to add 3.1oz to take it from 1ppm FC to 5ppm FC. If we use the tub, I add additional bleach after the soak, typically about an ounce. Then I make sure to check the spa the next day. Typically it will be at 1ppm FC.

It seems that my tub loves to be at 1ppm FC, sometimes even when we dont use the tub, I will check it the next day after bringing it up to 5ppm FC and it will be at 1ppm FC.

Does this all seem okay?

The water quality is good, nice, clean, not chlorine smelling.

Thanks!

Did you start of using Dichlor for around a week or so to build up the Cyanuric Acid (CYA) level to around 30 ppm or so? If not, then the active chlorine level is too strong and will also dissipate (outgas) faster.

Did you start of using Dichlor for around a week or so to build up the Cyanuric Acid (CYA) level to around 30 ppm or so? If not, then the active chlorine level is too strong and will also dissipate (outgas) faster.

Oh I knew I forgot to put one thing in there...yes my CYA is about 25ppm...maybe I should bring it up??

Also, do you think I could bring up my TA a bit??? maybe closer to 80?

Oh I knew I forgot to put one thing in there...yes my CYA is about 25ppm...maybe I should bring it up??

It's fine anywhere bettween 20-30 ppm. It doesn't have to be exact

No! If you raise your TA to 80 ppm, your pH will shoot up (>8.0) If your pH is stable now, leave TA alone.

It's fine anywhere bettween 20-30 ppm. It doesn't have to be exact

No! If you raise your TA to 80 ppm, your pH will shoot up (>8.0) If your pH is stable now, leave TA alone.

well...my ph is actually having a tendency to drift down, even with aeration it still hovers low until I add PH up, but then the next day or two it falls back down. So I was thinking that maybe it's just a tad low?

well...my ph is actually having a tendency to drift down, even with aeration it still hovers low until I add PH up, but then the next day or two it falls back down. So I was thinking that maybe it's just a tad low?

Don't add ph Up, add Baking Soda to raise TA slightly. Add 2 tsp BK, which will raise TA ~5 ppm in 350 Gal tub. Then areate for 30 mins and check pH.

Don't add ph Up, add Baking Soda to raise TA slightly. Add 2 tsp BK, which will raise TA ~5 ppm in 350 Gal tub. Then areate for 30 mins and check pH.

Thanks!

Thanks!

This is when you fine tune TA to keep pH stable. Try not to over swing too much. The least amount of acid/base you add to the tub, the longer the water will last.

I kind of figured that my TA was slipping a bit, I added TA up to take it to about 60ppm, and my ph stabilized at 7.5.....so that was easy.

I kind of figured that my TA was slipping a bit, I added TA up to take it to about 60ppm, and my ph stabilized at 7.5.....so that was easy.

Wh said it was difficult? ;) Just keep on eye on pH.

not a soul...but it still amazes me at how easy spa care is if you pay attention and use your brain.

I wish the dealers would properly train their staff and in turn their customers for proper spa care. It would make everyone's experience so much better.

on top of that it would sell more spas, my total time and cost has been so insignificant in the past 6 months it is amazing!

I bet it only costs about $5 a month to maintain my tub.