Pooldoc Digital Tester -- Anybody?!?!?!

MikeVB

Being color-challenged I need to purchase a digital tester and found at least three prominent ones on the internet. The one I'm interested in is Watts' PoolDoc shown below and in the link provided. Amazingly, I can find absolutely NO subjective customer or professional reviews of any kind on the internet. Would anybody either have one, know this company Watts, or otherwise care to opine whether or not this will do as it says? Any 2-cent opinion is welcome. Thanks.

https://www.wattspremier.com/watts/showdetl...269&CATID=1

164040_250x250.jpg

Well, just in the form of update, I contacted Watts and obtained the owners' manual for the PoolDoc digital tester. I have to admit I was very impressed with what I read. Accordingly I DID go ahead and purchase the PoolDoc and hope to get it in the next week or so.

Not only does it give you your digital/non-color (of course) readings for free and combined chlorine, bromine and pH, but total alkalinity testing too. What I find wholly exciting (well, NEAT AND FUN actually), is that you first enter all the data about your spa (size in gallons, what chemicals you're using, etc.); then after you test your water it gives you an "Rx," prescribing the precise chemicals and at what exact amounts you are to add them to bring your specific spa to it's ideal chemical balance. As far as disposables, the 9V battery (included) is supposed to give you 1,000 readings, and the reagents are not proprietary -- you can use any you care to.

If anybody else would like a pdf copy, give me your email address and I'll send it to you.

BTW, below is the info and data you enter (the figures below are the changeable factory default). Once you enter or modify these, you're golden!

PoolDoc has factory settings that show common DESIRED LEVELS for a pool’s chemical balance and commonly used maintenance CHEMICALS and their CONCENTRATIONS. You will need to confirm that the factory settings are correct or change them to those that are recommended by pool professionals in your area for your pool/spa. The pool/spa size, chemicals, ranges and concentrations, taken from the data in the above table will provide PoolDoc with the correct references that enable it to give you accurate measurements and recommendations.

[Once set up] PoolDoc will give you a Rx “prescription” for the addition of standard pool chemicals to bring your water to a safe and comfortable condition.

Desired Total Alkalinity Range 80-120 ppm

Desired Free Chlorine Range 2.0-4.0 ppm

Desired pH Range 7.4-7.6

Desired Bromine Range (if used) 2.0-4.0 ppm

Pool size (in Gallons/Liters) 0 gallons

Chlorinator No

Total Alkalinity Chemicals - Up Baking Soda, 100%

Total Alkalinity Chemicals - Down Dry Acid, 100%

Free Chlorine Chemicals - Up Liquid Chlorine, 12%

Free Chlorine Chemicals - Down Neutralizer, 100%

pH Chemicals - Up Soda Ash, 100%

pH Chemicals - Down Muriatic Acid, 31%

• 3 weeks later...

I was looking at the same tester. I couldn't find a review either keep us posted if all is well I will get one for myself.

Well, just in the form of update, I contacted Watts and obtained the owners' manual for the PoolDoc digital tester. I have to admit I was very impressed with what I read. Accordingly I DID go ahead and purchase the PoolDoc and hope to get it in the next week or so.

Not only does it give you your digital/non-color (of course) readings for free and combined chlorine, bromine and pH, but total alkalinity testing too. What I find wholly exciting (well, NEAT AND FUN actually), is that you first enter all the data about your spa (size in gallons, what chemicals you're using, etc.); then after you test your water it gives you an "Rx," prescribing the precise chemicals and at what exact amounts you are to add them to bring your specific spa to it's ideal chemical balance. As far as disposables, the 9V battery (included) is supposed to give you 1,000 readings, and the reagents are not proprietary -- you can use any you care to.

If anybody else would like a pdf copy, give me your email address and I'll send it to you.

BTW, below is the info and data you enter (the figures below are the changeable factory default). Once you enter or modify these, you're golden!

PoolDoc has factory settings that show common DESIRED LEVELS for a pool’s chemical balance and commonly used maintenance CHEMICALS and their CONCENTRATIONS. You will need to confirm that the factory settings are correct or change them to those that are recommended by pool professionals in your area for your pool/spa. The pool/spa size, chemicals, ranges and concentrations, taken from the data in the above table will provide PoolDoc with the correct references that enable it to give you accurate measurements and recommendations.

[Once set up] PoolDoc will give you a Rx “prescription” for the addition of standard pool chemicals to bring your water to a safe and comfortable condition.

Desired Total Alkalinity Range 80-120 ppm

Desired Free Chlorine Range 2.0-4.0 ppm

Desired pH Range 7.4-7.6

Desired Bromine Range (if used) 2.0-4.0 ppm

Pool size (in Gallons/Liters) 0 gallons

Chlorinator No

Total Alkalinity Chemicals - Up Baking Soda, 100%

Total Alkalinity Chemicals - Down Dry Acid, 100%

Free Chlorine Chemicals - Up Liquid Chlorine, 12%

Free Chlorine Chemicals - Down Neutralizer, 100%

pH Chemicals - Up Soda Ash, 100%

pH Chemicals - Down Muriatic Acid, 31%

I was looking at the same tester. I couldn't find a review either keep us posted if all is well I will get one for myself.

Not only did I buy it and have been enjoying using it but coincidentally I just posted a fairly substantial review on it which is here:

http://www.poolspaforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=21393