Liquid Chlorine

With trichlor pushing up my CYA levels again, I'm again thinking about switching from trichlor to liquid chlorine (short-term) and maybe liquid chlorine auto-dispenser or SWG (long-term). So, a few questions about liquid chlorine.

1) Liquid Chlorine - Legal?

A few weeks ago, a pool supply store worker said that it wasn't legal to use liquid or gaseous chlorine in Texas residential pools. After googling a while, I couldn't find any such law or ordinance preventing this. Anyone else out there know of any law/ordinance (particularly in Texas) that prohibits use of liquid/gaseous chlorine for pools?

2) Where to get 12% strength bleach?

Regardless of the legality, bleach is freely available and could be used but I gather (from Richard) the stock grocery store variety has relatively low FC per unit volume (~6%), vs. the ~12% of some sources. My question is, where do folks get this 12% sodium hypochlorite concentrated bleach? Pool store only? Home supply store?

3) What else is in liquid chlorine?

Is there anything else in solution with liquid chlorine that the pool owner needs to be concerned about? e.g. Richard mentioned lye is sometimes in bleach. What's that do to your water chemistry or health?

4) Auto-dispensing liquid chlorine?

Also, while I can baby-sit the liquid chlorine dosage every 1-2 days for a while, at some point (trips, etc.) I'll want my pool to just take care of this itself for up to a week. Anyone got some good (or bad!) experience with devices/pumps that auto-distribute liquid chlorine (and possibly acid) into the pool, possibly just by pre-programmed dosage (better than nothing!), OR by auto-sensing water FC/pH? How much do they cost to maintain and about how long do they last? What're the best types/brands?

...or when you get to this point, is it cheaper to just convert the pool to a SWG?

Thanks for the advice!

I have heard rumors that some states have restrictions on liquid chlorine, but I don't have any specifics.

Here in California my source for liquid chlorine is a pool store; Leslie's carries 10%, the independent shop has 12.5%. I also found 10% in the pool aisle of a local oversized grocery store. It's possible that pool aisles in big-box or HD-type places would have it; my local places don't have pool sections. But lots of people seem to use regular 6% bleach which can be price-competitive per ounce of hypochlorite, especially at discounters like walmart or costco or target.

When I go on vacation I use trichlor. The limited use doesn't really adversely affect my CYA, and it helps limit the pH rise while I'm gone as well.

I've heard of a liquid chlorine dispenser called the Liquidator, but I don't really know anything specific about it.

--paulr

I don't think that liquid chlorine (sodium hypochlorite) is illegal anywhere. The person was probably referring to Chlorine gas, which is a liquid when compressed in a tank.

If someone ever tells you that something is a law, ask them to show you the exact statute that they are referring to so that you can read it for yourself. If they can't, then they probably don't know what they're talking about.

6.00% Bleach works just fine. 12% can be found at pool stores, hardware stores, general stores etc.

You can also search in your area under "Janitorial Supplies" or "Chemicals" for 12% liquid chlorine. Call pool companies and ask them where you can buy liquid chlorine.

Lye (Sodium hydroxide) is usually less than 0.2%. There are no health concerns when the product is added to the water. Lye is used in many food and drinking water production processes. Lye is just another form of pH increaser so it will cause a very minor increase in pH.

There are no chemicals to be concerned about in liquid chlorine. Liquid chlorine will add minor amounts sodium and chloride ions (regular table salt) to your water.

Regular Clorox bleach will probably be the most convenient solution for you.

http://info.sos.state.tx.us/pls/pub//readt...=265&rl=198

Texas Administrative Code

Gas Chlorination for Post-10/01/99 and Pre-10/01/99 Pools and Spas

(a) No gas chlorination to be installed after September 1, 2004. Gas chlorination equipment shall not be installed on post-10/01/99 pools or spas constructed after September 1, 2004.

b. Gas chlorination in pools and spas constructed before September 1, 2004. Post-10/01/99 pools and spas constructed before September 1, 2004, and pre-10/01/99 pools and spas using gas chlorination shall comply with the following:

Thanks all for the replies. I'll start up with liquid chlorine shortly, manually at first.

The Liqudator mentioned above is a non-electric "bleach*" feeder. Tend to have problems with scale that make them maintenance intensive.

There are many chemical pumps availalbe. How much money do you want to spend?

There are many automatic chemical controllers availalbe. Same Q...

If the answer is "Lots!" then the chlorine generator has many advantages over the others on a residential pool. But they have limitations and require an understanding of what those are.

*Bleach = any "liquid" chlorine, 5%, 10%, 12.5% or whatever.

Thanks all for the replies. I'll start up with liquid chlorine shortly, manually at first.

The Liqudator mentioned above is a non-electric "bleach*" feeder. Tend to have problems with scale that make them maintenance intensive.

There are many chemical pumps availalbe. How much money do you want to spend?

There are many automatic chemical controllers availalbe. Same Q...

If the answer is "Lots!" then the chlorine generator has many advantages over the others on a residential pool. But they have limitations and require an understanding of what those are.

*Bleach = any "liquid" chlorine, 5%, 10%, 12.5% or whatever.

Stenner makes a really liquid chl pump, like bill said how much do want to spend. You can get a plastic chl tank with the pump mounted right to it also