Chlorine Smell From Pool Water

I take care of a pool that is only used (hard) for about 3-4 hours at a shot. The water has a chlorine smell to it. The FC is 3 and available is 3.5. Pool is 10,000 gallons and uses auto feeder with liquid chlorine.

I can't get rid of it. Pool water been tested and is balanced. TDS is kinda high but within limits. Should I just drain some water and refill?

Thanks

I take care of a pool that is only used (hard) for about 3-4 hours at a shot. The water has a chlorine smell to it. The FC is 3 and available is 3.5. Pool is 10,000 gallons and uses auto feeder with liquid chlorine.

I can't get rid of it. Pool water been tested and is balanced. TDS is kinda high but within limits. Should I just drain some water and refill?

Thanks

If it smells like chlorine, then that means you don't have enough chlorine for the usage and the FAC can't keep up with the use, no recovery time. Probably the chloramine level is too high.

If the water is old, you may do a partial or full water drain. Do this before you shock.

If you have a DPD Test Kit, use it to test for chloramines. If they're over .6-.8, then give it a good shock. 10-12ppm should do it and allow that to sit overnight. If the pool needs to be used soon the next day, you can use Thiosulphate to get the chlorine level down.

http://www.clean-pool-and-spa.com/swimming...l-chlorine.html