Is This Ozone/salt Combo Dangerous?

Gfam

Wow quantumchromodynamic, that’s pretty strong advice, is this combination something that is dangerous?

"I would not have ozone on any pool without the proper equipment and processes to completely remove the ozone from the water before chlorinating it."

"I think that the ozone is going to cause you nothing but trouble. I recommend that you do not continue to use ozone. If you want to continue to use ozone, I suggest that you find a way to set up a proper ozone process. Perhaps, you could make your own contact tank out of a 6-foot tall x 12-inch PVC pipe with a degasser column on top to remove the ozone.

Then you could run the water through a second filter (sand, DE or cartridge) before sending it to the salt cell. This way you avoid conflict, all your oxidizers are happy, and not fighting each other. They can focus on oxidizing the stuff they're supposed to be oxidizing.

What are your chemical readings?"

I have turned off the ozone system. I have read in several places that salt and ozone are an excellent combination for pools and haven't seen anything that would indicate that I need any type of additional system! Is what we installed really that bad?

I would be grateful for additional advice on the system but the suggestions are going to need to be in simpler terms as I am not following some of the things that you are suggesting and am not sure why this would be necessary. But I'm open to your thoughts. As to my original post (Water turning white with ozonator) do you have an idea of why the water is white?

Fellow forum readers some weighing in on this topic would be appreciated, greatly appreciated.

I have read in several places that salt and ozone are an excellent combination for pools

What places? It's all hype and nonsense. Just because an ozonator calls itself "Ultra-Pure" or some other such language does not mean anything. Salt can do everything. For a regular residential pool, ozone provides no benefit.

It's not dangerous; it's just not going to work. I have taken care of pools with ozonators. I am sure that they are not only worthless, but also detrimental unless it is done properly. I have removed several ozonators from residential pools, and the pools are doing much better. There is a dramatic improvement when the ozonator is removed.

Ozone can be used effectively; but it has to be done properly. Pumping chlorine and ozone into the same pipe is a bad idea. They destroy each other.

The ozone and the salt cell agitate the water; this causes carbon dioxide to come out of solution and raises the Saturation Index very high. The salt cell creates hydroxides as a byproduct of chlorine generation. The milkyness may be calcium hydroxide and calcium carbonate precipitating out of solution.

Some drinking water is made using ozone as part of the process. The result is very good and clean water. The process is carefully designed and methodically followed based on solid science. The process includes carbon filtration, micro-filtration, ozonation and other critical steps.

What specific benefits are you expecting from your ozonator? What, specifically, do you want it to do for you?

If you can post a full set of chemical readings, I will be better able to help you.

Free chlorine

Combined chlorine

pH

Acid or base demand

Total Alkalinity

Calcium hardness

Total hardness

Cyanuric acid

Salt (Titration for chloride, not TDS)

Total dissolved solids

Temperature

Iron

I have read in several places that salt and ozone are an excellent combination for pools

What places? It's all hype and nonsense. Just because an ozonator calls itself "Ultra-Pure" or some other such language does not mean anything. Salt can do everything. For a regular residential pool, ozone provides no benefit.

It's not dangerous; it's just not going to work. I have taken care of pools with ozonators. I am sure that they are not only worthless, but also detrimental unless it is done properly. I have removed several ozonators from residential pools, and the pools are doing much better. There is a dramatic improvement when the ozonator is removed.

Ozone can be used effectively; but it has to be done properly. Pumping chlorine and ozone into the same pipe is a bad idea. They destroy each other.

The ozone and the salt cell agitate the water; this causes carbon dioxide to come out of solution and raises the Saturation Index very high. The salt cell creates hydroxides as a byproduct of chlorine generation. The milkyness may be calcium hydroxide and calcium carbonate precipitating out of solution.

Some drinking water is made using ozone as part of the process. The result is very good and clean water. The process is carefully designed and methodically followed based on solid science. The process includes carbon filtration, micro-filtration, ozonation and other critical steps.

What specific benefits are you expecting from your ozonator? What, specifically, do you want it to do for you?

If you can post a full set of chemical readings, I will be better able to help you.

Free chlorine 1.6

-Total Chlorine 1.8

Combined chlorine .2

pH 8.1

Acid or base demand ?

Total Alkalinity 114

Calcium hardness 246

Total hardness ?

Cyanuric acid 76

Salt (Titration for chloride, not TDS) 3830

Total dissolved solids 500

Temperature 92

Iron 0.0 ppm (i'm not sure they actually tested for this)

I hope this helps. To answer your question regarding what my expectations were for the ozone - I wanted it to complement the SW system in working as an agent to destroy bacteria. I also installed the system to extend the life of the cell, as we have replaced our cell twice now and we have only had our pool for 6 years. The SWG is currently experiencing problems (maybe you can search previous posts where I began first trying to get help with the SWG/cell/board). I bought the ozonator because I understood they could be used together it seems that I may very well regret that decision.

The service tech for the SWG did not show last Thursday I have waited 6 weeks for this appointment and he was a no-show so the SWG issue is not resolved and now I'm having this discussion regarding the ozone:( So really any help that you or anyone can offer really, really would be appreciated! I'm at my wits end here.